Nymphing Books

W

wsender

What would everyone recommend as a good book for nymphing? I'm looking for something that deals with a lot of the technical aspects, i.e. pattern selection, rigging techniques, drift management, etc.

I thought about getting a book on nymphing... Then I realized that no one has the same exact style. I just surf youtube and try to adapt the styles I want to try.

Everyone can name their favorite fly book, but it probably isn't a nymphing book. and my explanation could be why. fwiw

Active Nympinh - Rich Ostoff is the author, I think. I started employing some of his methods this past year with great success. But like gochs I usually just combine methods until I hit on something.

Gary Borger has some good ones on nymphing. But I got a dvd and books of Joe Humphrey's on nymphing that I liked better.
Also Gary Lafontaine and J. Dennis books and dvd's are very helpfull.

George Daniel is coming out with a nymphing book, should be pretty good.

LRSABecker wrote:
George Daniel is coming out with a nymphing book, should be pretty good.

Certainly note worthy. The Tully TU had him out last year and I believe it might have been an excellent presentation, had it not been held in a gymnasium which turned out to be the worlds best echo chamber. Is there a release date for the book?

He told me, this time next year it will be out. Thats all he said.

They're trying for fall of '11, but like LRSa said it will probably be Spring '12.

Wsender,

There are quite a few books on this subject.
You may find a lot more.
This is very quick pick not a full biography on the subject.

Here are some:

Ernest Schwiebert – Nymphs, 1973

Pocket Guide to Nymph Fishing – The Cordes/La Fontaine (this is very small guide/book, can feet in your vest pocket)

Nymph Fishing for Larger Trout – Charles Brooks, (very direct, lot of illustrations)

Nymphing: - Borger Gary, Harrisburgh, PA

How to Fish from Top to Bottom - Sid Gordon

Masters On The Nymph Trout Fly Fishing Book – edited by M Migel and L Wright, 1989

Tying Trout Nymphs by Deke Meyer, 1994

TYING NYMPHS - Randall Kaufmann, 2003

Fishing Nymphs, Wet Flies & Streamers, - David L. Tieszen, **** Sternberg, John Van Vliet

NEW Nymph Fishing in Practice by Oliver Kite – 2001

STILLWATER TROUT Nymph, dry fly, streamer fishing book (anthology)

NYMPH FISHING – Dave Hughes, 1995

Nymphs Tying and Fishing by Larry Tullis, 1996

SMALL WATER TROUT FISHING RODS NYMPH – Charles Jardine

Fishing the Nymp - Jim Quick

Tying and Fishing the Nymph by Taff Price, 1996

Nymph Fishing: A History of the Art and Practice Terry, UK

NYMPH FISHING IN PRACTICE – Olivier Kite , UK

Nymph-Fishing Rivers And Streams: A Biologist's View of Taking Trout Below the Surface - Rick Hafele

Active Nymphing: Aggressive Strategies for Casting, Rigging, And Moving the Nymphs by Rich Osthoff

Nymphing: A Basic Guide to Identifying, Tying, and Fishing Artificial Nymphs - Gary A. Borger

Great nymph content in the books:
V. Marinaro, L. Magee, G. LaFontaine, L. Kreh, Aldo, J. Gierach, R. Halford,
T. Coston, J Brown, R. Bachman, N, Ringler , P. Schullery , E. Taverner, R. Traver and more.

I learned a lot from E. Schwiebert, Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi, J. Gierach, A.K. Best, Charles Brooks, Orvis pocket books.

Good nymphing!

Attachments

• NYMPHS.jpg
    NYMPHS.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
Back