Nymph Tail Material

O

outsider

My nymphs are pretty much indestructable except for the tails. Does this exist?:

Synthetic tapered tails with rings/barring to use on larger nymphs like stoneflies? I use biots and other natural materials, but they are the first thing to go after several fish.

The short answer is no. I have never seen a synthetic nymph tail worth a squirt of pee. None of them offer the range of colors, silhouette, and movement natural materials possess. Pheasant tails are somewhat fragile but I have never had a problem with biots. Try using hen back, partidge, grouse, pheasant or other kinds of soft hackle materials.

Try coq de leon. I love it:)

i use many different natural materials from wood duck to partridge, grouse, pheasant, copper pheasant, still looking for something stronger, longer, ringed or barred for larger flies. May look at paint brush bristles with taper, and mark them myself.

gaeronf wrote:
Try coq de leon. I love it:)

I'll second that! I used CDL as dry fly tailing all the time, but have been surprised at how durable it can be on nymphs. The fibers are long, can be stacked, and have very nice barring. The only problem is that CDL is stiff, so you don't get much movement.

You use the individual fibers? Show me. I'm talking about using two long fibers for the tail.

+3 on the CDL. Very durable. I use it 90% of the time on my nymphs now. I have not had issues with biots either.

coque de leon as noted above. The downside is the fibers are rather stiff. I typically just use phesant tails since I can tie them in a couple minutes... besides, I typically lose them to a rock or tree before they have a chance to get destroyed

Bam - CDL Really, I want to see those nymphs!

Yea CDL is what I use on a consistent basis.

flexi floss works if you want something soft for stones.

Attachments

• 1-6-2011 013.jpg
    1-6-2011 013.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 7
outsider wrote:
You use the individual fibers? Show me. I'm talking about using two long fibers for the tail.

I tied these quickly and tails only just to demonstrate the technique. A bunch of fibers are tied on the top of the hook in a split tail style. A drop of varnish brings the fibers together and reinforces the tail. The top hook is dyed mallard, and the bottom is CDL, both on a #14 hook.

Attachments

• flytails.JPG
    flytails.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 5
Try using sewing thread coated with fleximent for bigger nymphs and tying thread coated with fleximent for smaller nymphs. Little dab of zap-a-gap at tie in point after separating the tails they will hold forever. And they move very well in the water

Today I bought Sili Legs (color pumpkin barred) at TCO, and used it for tailing on a large stonefly nymph. While not tapered, I was really pleased with the results. Simple, flexible, a decent color match, and i suspect they will be durable.

Here's a tying hint: I lashed at single piece to the end of the shank of the hook, and wrapped thread around it to produce the desired angle of the tails, then trimmed the ends to the desired length.

My experience is that if you want a tail that isn't fragile, you should use fur instead of feathers. Mostly what I use is hare's mask (dyed in several colors), nutria, squirrel and groundhog.

btw, trout's teeth will cut right through sili legs. They are less durable than biots for tails.

I have found that using raw strips of thinly cut bacon are very durable for tail material.

Leteras wrote:
I have found that using raw strips of thinly cut bacon are very durable for tail material.

So what's the punch line?

Mmmmm....bacon

I love using CDL for my tailing.
Looks great.

Back