Nymph leaders & droppers

B

Btc624

I am just starting nymph fishing and have a couple questions if anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it.

1. Do i need to use a tapered leader or can i just use an old tapered leader and just tie on some 4 or 5 x tippet to the butt section?

2. Which method would be better for attaching a dropper, tie the dropper off the point flies hook bend or tie the dropper on a tag end of leader?

And finally im not sure if this is true or not but say i attach a pc of fluorocarbon tippet to a normal material leader, will fluorocarbon
Cut or weaken the reg tapered leader?

For adding a dropper if I am in a hurry, I will just tie the dropper off the bend of the point flies hook.

Normally though, I attached my droppers about 15-20 inches above the heavy weighted fly. This allows me to fish two different zones, and the distance is enough to keep the second fly from foul hooking a fish that takes the other fly.

Add tippet as you see fit; and no floro to mono is okay.

I tie the second fly off the bend most of the time.

Here is a link to some good info with illustrations of different nymphing rigs and methods of fishing: http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

Btc624 wrote:

And finally im not sure if this is true or not but say i attach a pc of fluorocarbon tippet to a normal material leader, will fluorocarbon
Cut or weaken the reg tapered leader?

Not if you wet the line when you cinch down the knot. You should do this with all knots in mono or flouro but most importantly with flouro.

Thanks for your replies as i really appreciate the advice from those that been there before. :)

I know it can be controversial, but I use an 3x tapered leader for most of my trout fishing. Cut off the tip of the leader down to where the taper starts, then tie on a tippet ring. If you've never used one, they're tiny metal rings that are so small that they don't really even weigh down your leader. Then attach a length of tippet to the ring - 3x or lighter. Whatever size you'd normally use for the flies you're fishing. This leader works for dry flies too.

Of course, you can always add tippet to a tapered leader the old fashioned way - a blood knot or triple surgeon's knot. It's just that as you cut back into the tapered part of the leader you'll have to start tapering your tippet, if that makes sense. Tippet rings keep you from ever having this problem.

I also usually tie a dropper off the bend unless I think of it before tying on the first fly. Then I'll make the tag end of my clinch knot extra long and attach the dropper to that.

I don't see the controversy at all in your post

I've seen some posts on this and other forums that express a dislike for the use of tippet rings for whatever reason. Purists, I guess? "Sinks your dry fly! Creates a hinge point so your tippet won't turn over!" Things like that. Not saying it's a majority of people.

Back