Nymph hook lenght

troutmagnet

troutmagnet

I do not no what to get for tying size 16 and 18 pheasant tails or hares ears. Also the will be bead head, so 1x or 2x? I will be going with dia riki hooks....thanks!

Everyone's preferences are different, but I use 1XL hooks for unbeaded nymphs, and 2XL for beaded versions.

For attractor nymph patterns, I sometimes use a 3XL hook. Prince nymphs come to mind....

ok.....i was thinking 2x but wasnt sure. I have tied on 1x and 2x and personally likes the 2x also.....but thanks!

No need for 1x our 2x hooks, the beads are so small . A regular wet fly out standard nymph hook will be fine

well when i tie with a regualar hook the bodys are way 2 small.....

i like a double or triple length for nymphs.

i buy whichever is cheaper.

my wife likes those 200R's for PTN's but uses mustads for most others.

I use 1x long (no bead) and 2x long(beaded) for most nymphs.

ok, i will be getting the 2x models.....

i'm a standard or 1 x guy with or without bead. Mainly because i hate wrapping pheasant tails any great distance. ;)

i agree then when i go to tie my wing case and peacock in it gets so much crowded.....

75% of the beadheads that I tie I don't put wing cases on, so I go with 1x with those. On the patterns that have them that I like, going with a 2x,or even 3x helps give the space needed to make them look proportionally right. I'm not sure why but, I think bead heads w/ cases don't look right most of the time. I know that probably seems weird to alot of you but I've felt that way since I started tying them. That's the great thing about tying your own you can do it any way you please.

i like the 2x... great for beads and also gives me more room so i don't crowd the eye.

I like tying many of my nymphs on a scud hook. Scud hooks have a very large gape and bend which allows me to use a very small bead, relative to the size of the hook. I also like the curved body look of the fly. Just an alternative.

afishinado wrote:
I like tying many of my nymphs on a scud hook. Scud hooks have a very large gape and bend which allows me to use a very small bead, relative to the size of the hook. I also like the curved body look of the fly. Just an alternative.

i do the same, they seem to work for just about anything

I've been gradually switching over to scud hooks, though still like the lines of a traditional (Mustad) 2x nymph hook.
Coughlin

i tie on caddis hooks actually, basicly a scud hook with a straight eye, and i just ordered more nymph hooks. I got 2x size 16 and 18.

Scud hooks are awesome for nymphs. I swear they fish better than the straight ones. IMO, you get the nice wide gape, but the hook bend/point is more "hidden" because you're wrapping part way around the bend.

If I don't use a scud hook, my small nymphs, size 16 and under get tied on standard wet fly hooks. Otherwise, I like a 1x.

Back