Nymph Box Recommendation

just_jon

just_jon

I have a 2 sided Tacky (pre-Fishpond) nymph box and will not hold the flies in place. I’m talking about 20% of the flies coming lose on a two hour outing. After spending 30 minutes rearranging things, I thought I would ask what what everyone else is using. Thanks in advance.

I've been using the green slotted silicone with clear lid boxes. They seem to work well with flies up to #10. After that, they hold too strongly, IMO. Slotted foam for larger flies.

I just recently picked up a Fulling Mills fly box to use mainly for nymphs. I was at Ligonier Outfitters and the “pocket fly box” ($15) model caught my eye. It’s a pretty small box with slotted foam that has 122 spots. I have been tying feverishly to fill it up and I may be able to do just that this weekend.

It seems to hold the flies pretty snug, I’ve dropped the box in my house and nothing has come loose, but I haven’t had it out on the stream yet, but I don’t foresee having any issues with it.

They have a model that has 960 slots that looks like it could just about hold enough nymph flies for a lifetime…

Here is a link to the company website with the various boxes they carry.

Fulling Mill Fly Boxes

I will second Fullingmill, very happy with the 3 I have. Was using Tacky and moved away from them for the same reason you noted - fly retention.

I have a Tacky Day Box, clear lid, green silicone interior, and have had no problem with any flies coming loose. If anything, I sometimes I trouble getting the hooks into the silicone slits, especially on small flies. Toothpick inside the box comes in handy for getting those little guys out of the slit sometimes.

Two tips regarding Tacky fly boxes:

1) When I first saw them, a light bulb went on in my head. They have "ears" or "eyelets" at each end. So I attached a lanyard and the box is now very handy as a chest box. My son and my friends do the same. They have powerful magnets and don't open accidently. I show people when fishing, and they think it is a great idea.

2) I live close to stream that I fish a lot, and at least 80% of the time I am using size size 20-24 flies. They are a b^tch to remove from the gel slits. So I use a Dr. Slick cross-lock tweezer attached to a retractor to take flies out of the box. My son and my friends do the same.
https://www.drslick.com/catalog/view_item/fly-tying/extra-hand-tweezers

I have four of these boxes in my chest pack right now and they have been performing quite well. I have anywhere from larger mop flies and Pat's rubber legs to #20 midges in them and they are getting the job done. I think their sweet spot is probably in the hook range of 10-18, but for the money, they're hard to beat!

Back