Not much snow but plenty of rain

krayfish2

krayfish2

November through current, the snowfall has been minimal in most Pa locations. That's not good news... but... we've had a fair amount of rain on pretty regular intervals.

What's everyone's take on this? With a tiny number of eggs hatching out and reaching fry age, how do you see the substantial doses of water impacting the spawn? I'm thinking it's grenaded most early / mid winter redds but maybe some late spawners could have success.

Due to the ground not being frozen, I'd have to believe some of this rain has been able to reach the aquifer and top off still waters. On paper, we still are inches below average but this is something the aquatic ecosystems desperately needed. Has me feeling better about early spring conditions as we might have a little extra water if the storm patterns don't change too much.

Back in early October, the long range forecast called for a Jan/Feb deepening trough in the East triggering more coastal storms. Believer that two major snowfalls are coming in the next 6-7 weeks 🤞

The West Branch Delaware flow was shut down to 40cfs for a maintenance issue. A couple other times for hoarding water as Nov had little rain. This occured during the spawning season. There was some yo yoing afterwards. Not good for fish or insects. Now we will get spillage and unwadable water til June.

High water is still better than bottom ice or ice scouring the stream beads. Up here if this weather continues it should bode will for wild Steelhead along the south side of Steelhead Alley along Lake Erie.
Usually bottom ice and ice chunks scouring the streams after a thaw decimates wild steelhead redds.

The West Branch Delaware flow was shut down to 40cfs for a maintenance issue. A couple other times for hoarding water as Nov had little rain. This occured during the spawning season. There was some yo yoing afterwards. Not good for fish or insects. Now we will get spillage and unwadable water til June.

They have zero respect or concern for the river and its wildlife in any way shape or form, thats nothing new

A cold snap has begun to set in the northeast section of the state. Last week, this area of the Poconos got 12-13" of snow followed ofter the next few days of over 2" of rain. More snow coming tomorrow and Friday and frigid temps all this week. I will agree with krayfish2 that we will probably get a big storm or two in the later part of the winter much like the winter of 2016-2017.

So far, mid February through current has filled the lakes and kept flows up. No real hard freezes which has let some of the precip trickle into the ground.
Looks promising for spring. Finger crossed 🤞. Keep it coming. Rumor has it that blowout is scheduled for May 16th.

So far, mid February through current has filled the lakes and kept flows up. No real hard freezes which has let some of the precip trickle into the ground.
Looks promising for spring. Finger crossed 🤞. Keep it coming. Rumor has it that blowout is scheduled for May 16th.
Lol, would that make the 17th-19th unfishable?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306-204318~2.png
    Screenshot_20240306-204318~2.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 19
Here in the NW, we haven't had the massive jam ice packs on the Allegheny. These huge jams and chunks of ice were many feet up the bank. It smashed any streamside vegetation. The badly scarred trees show what happens. I'm wondering how this lack of heavy ice will effect the sides of the river. THing is, when the river filled with ice, it back up the water flow and the water under the ice was deeper. Complex.

Boy we went from real wet to pretty dry quickly. Low humidity and wind got rid of all lot of the extra rain we had. Come on mother nature, give us some rain! Lawn is looking good, golf course is rolling out but we could use a little.

I’m feeling a little parched. Rainfall is very much a “what’s happened in the last 10 days” kind of deal.

One positive…Penns, so fishable right now.

Lehigh is coming down nicely, but that’s not doing much for the smaller streams. Hoping we go back above average rainfall soon!

Yikes! NC PA is turning yellow on the USGS map.

Back