Not a beginner, but....

PatriotFly26

PatriotFly26

I've been ffing for quite a while now, and I would not call myself a beginner, however I would not call myself a professional, far from it.

This is however, a rookie type of question, I live in Upstate New York, and have not done much post Trout season fishing, because, well it is usually too cold, their is too much snow to get to the stream(if it is open to year round fishing), and I don't know what to do during these months other than tie flies, and day dream of the long, hot, summer days in the water.

Anyone have any advice for what to do in the winter months as far a fly fishing is concerned?

Go to Chautauqua , Cattaraugus, Salmon River , The Genesee, 18mile or Oak Orchard. Take an 8wt., globugs and sucker spawn and have a drift or 2. You'll find out all about winter fly fishing.

PatriotFly26 wrote:
I've been ffing for quite a while now, and I would not call myself a beginner, however I would not call myself a professional, far from it.

This is however, a rookie type of question, I live in Upstate New York, and have not done much post Trout season fishing, because, well it is usually too cold, their is too much snow to get to the stream(if it is open to year round fishing), and I don't know what to do during these months other than tie flies, and day dream of the long, hot, summer days in the water.

Anyone have any advice for what to do in the winter months as far a fly fishing is concerned?

As a fellow upstate NYer, hit up the Salmon. It shouldn't be too far for you and it's quite possibly the best fishing on the East Coast.

Where on the Salmon River, Pulaski, or is there somewhere that would make the trip more worthwhile?

From the UFZ to the mouth will fish well.

The change of pace that those Steelhead offer is something that i feel all fly fishers should do at least once a year , more if you can , the first time you hook up to one of those rockets is just an awe struck moment WOW!!! They go!!!!

Back