North Carolina, Asheville area

D

DRFAS

Trip scheduled June 17-21 to Asheville NC for some sightseeing (for my lovely wife) and fly fishing for me. Have had success upon previous NC Trout FF'ing experiences in the Sparta- Stone Mt State Park area but have yet to visit what is referred to as the PRIME trout waters farther South and deeper in the Smokies. Hoping to stay put in our hotel/motel in Asheville and then drive wherever to FF when I can, which SHOULD be more than any prior visits.. Question is, does anyone here have any experience within reason of Asheville ?? From what I have seen, from any number of Western NC Trout FF'ing websites, their are tons of prime waters within 1/2 to 2 hrs drives... Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.. Email me drfas2@aol.com if you like or cell phone 412-916-0249..

Thanks
FAS

I would make the trip to the Davidson River which is about 40 minutes from Ashville. The fishing is not easy but the trout are huge. There is a lot of fishing pressure. It is also on the list of Top 100 trout streams in the country. I fished it once. I made the drive from SC to fish and although I only caught 2, it was still worth it. One was a 17" brown. The other was a 25" brown. I would look into it. I had wanted to fish there just to say that I have. It is awesome to stand there and watch 28" trout swim by in all directions.

I would second the Davidson River as a great destination from Asheville. Absolutely beautiful. I have a son who plays college basketball in the Southern Conference, and our post season tournament is held in Asheville in early March.
Another good destination about an hour an 15 minutes away (east on rte 40) is Wilson Creek, north of Morganton. There are tons of fish in it, and you should try the section above the gorge area, (which is usually loaded with white water rafters. ). the upper areas have miles of varied water and tons of willing fish.
There a several excellent fly shops in Asheville as well, which would be a good reference, not to mention many excellent craft breweries and good restaurants in town !

One of the most beautiful rivers I have fished in the south is the Chattooga River on the border of SC & GA. Fish it above RT 28.
Great shopping for women to spend the day at Highlands NC. Beautiful area

If you are looking for a guide, check out Davidson River Outfitters. Good bunch of guys we met at HNFI.

Thanks to all for your comments. Know that I do respect our members and their insight, above and beyond all others....

FAS

I fish the area around Asheville 3-4 times a year for the last several years. I think the Davidson is the best stream if you want to have a chance at multiple larger fish in a day within a short drive of the city. The area from Avery Creek upstream to the hatchery is the best section with tons of great water. From Looking Glass creek up to the hatchery is the most popular stretch, it has a lot of hatchery fish mixed in with wild ones. I prefer to stay below Looking Glass because it gets a little less crowded. The fishing in both sections can be tough at times as these fish see a lot of flies over the course of the year and the water tends to be gin clear.

If the Davidson proves unproductive due to pressured fish you can go above the hatchery or go up Looking Glass above the falls or anywhere on Avery and chase wild bows and the occasional brownie. These will be smaller fish, mostly below 10 inches, but they are more willing to take a dry and you should not need to go subsurface. I usually catch plenty of fish on bigger stimulators on all three of these streams. the key is getting your fly to sit still in a pocket long enough to get the attention of fish and there are fish in just about every pocket. The same advice goes for just about every blue line off of the parkway in this area, especially the one with wild trout designations. They are easy to find because there will be little diamond palards on the trees stream side.

I cannot support Beckers choice of guides, i don't care much for that shop as they push their private closed water that is full of pelletheads similar to spring ridge club, but to each his own.

Good luck and expect company if fishing the D. Also, be on the lookout for tubers midday there in the summer. If you choose to fish a smaller blue line watch out for rattlers they are pretty common.

i grew up fishing NC mountain range, particularly Asheville area, and strongly reinforce Davidson recommendations. i too am NOT a fan of davidson river outfitters.

When I was living down there off and on a number of years ago (I was doing software implementation training for our satellite plant in Charlotte and went back and forth between PA and NC a lot), I spent most of my fishing time either in the upper Wilson Creek watershed in the Pisgah NF fishing the upper end of Wilson itself, N. and S. Harper Creeks and Lost Cove Creek and its tribs. These are all hike-ins varying from 3/4 of a mile to 3 miles. The fishing over mixed BT and RT was pretty good. The other place i liked and spent a fair amount of time on was the South Toe River up in the special regs section. Mostly RT at that time with some pretty good sized ones, up to 12" anyway. This was bigger water and in terms of access, more like the Davidson with sections where you could fall out of your car door and be fishing.

I think both these places are on the outer edge of your hour away from Asheville stipulation. You could look them up and see where where they are and how far of a trip it would be.

I didn't care much for the Davidson. Pretty busy, IMO.

If you are looking to get off the beaten path a bit, I highly recommend panthertown valley. Not only does it have some really nice scenery, schoolhouse falls, but is also full of wild brookies some pushing 13"+.

Thanks to all.. I do appreciate the input.. With all the reccomendations... I might have to take a sabbatical to visit all the locations eh... Hope the weather there treats me right next week..

FAS

Returned from trip to Asheville/Charlotte NC this evening.. Bad news/good news.. Bad: fractured two ribs 3 days before trip.. Good: Was still able to make the trip and get ONE day in fishing on the Davidson River, Pisgah National Forest, just outside Brevard NC.. What a beautiful stream.. First cast, (with pain) a native Brown slammed my beaded nymph.. All pain was instantly a feint memory.. Thought I died and went to heaven.. 45 minutes later and rib pain no longer a "memory", another Brownie took a Light Cahill on top.. That was all she wrote for me.. Try as I may the damn ribs got the best of me but my short lived experience was well worth it... Chatted with quite a few other fisherman that were from all points of the East and most had less succes that day than me, the crippled PA visitor, so I "mentally" felt better hearing that..

Bottom line... Great experience, more trout streams than I could ever fish in a few days so I will return and hopefully with ribs intact..

FAS

FAS,
Sounds like about the best time that could have been expected. Hope yuh heal up soon.

Back