North Branch Potomac Fishing

M

matth06

Hello all, I am a 16 year old who just moved to Maryland from Pa and was looking to find some good water close by than a trip back home and was thinking about hitting the north branch and savage this weekend to do just that. The issue is, I know very littleo about them other than my internet research and am having trouble figuring out which sections to hit and finding access in general this time of year. If any of you could give me some tips and point me in the right direction I'd appreciate. Looking forward to joining the forum.

Trout water on the North Branch obviously from the dam down to the Savage, but also several miles below Westernport (confluence with the Savage) hold trout as well with easy access.

If you decide to fish the Savage below the dam, please fish with another adult. Wading can be treacherous. The boulders are large and mostly round on top. The flows are swift. Above the dam the streams are more manageable if there is water in the creeks. I suggest you reach out to Savage River Outfitters, their shop is right on the Savage below the dam. https://www.savageriveroutfitters.com/

Be careful to check the water release schedule. I have never fished the Potomac. Good luck.

Back