Noob question on rods/reels and line weight

C

CBennett

Ok I am trying to get back into fly fishing after trying my hand at it years ago when I lived in Warren PA with one of those $100 starter outfits..I actually did catch a few trout near Chapman dam in I believe it was Adams Run and Farnsworth that run near or in/out of the lake.. till i snapped that rod, took a a new job in North Central PA and life happened and I never got back into it... fast forward 25+ years..Im now recently retired...and am trying to get back into Fly Fishing both standard and Tenkara style.

What I have right now is a mix and match of things..ive ordered waders to replace my old dry rotted ones....a net I have 2 rods available neither probably optimal but I assume for now till I can get something else will work....the rods are a old vintage Heddon Starcast 8' or 8.5' fiberglass 7 weight I also have a slightly newer but also at least 25 years old Ryobi Fincast 7 weight rod also also 8" range...

when I had posted about getting back into fly fishing I had a EXTREMELY nice man give me a EXTREMELY generous offer..he said he would send me a few flies and said he also included a reel to get me going...I got a LOT of flies from this kind man and a vintage Scientific Angler System 7 reel

what id like to do to get started till I can net a decent 6 weight rod is use the Scientific Sportsman system 7 on one of the 2 8' fly rods I have. Does this seem reasonable for now till I can get a decent rod?

I think for now if im fishing a larger stream like say the Loyalsock or Lycoming I will use the fly rod..if im doing smaller I will use my Tenkara rod...
thoughts???

Yes, you can use a 7 wt for trout.

You can also use it for smallmouth bass in the Loyalsock, Pine Creek, the Susquehanna and its West Branch.

And bass in ponds.

What he said.

If you find you really like fly fishing after, say, a year of fishing, you may want to look into a 5 weight outfit for dry flies and smaller streams. Other than that, your bases are covered for local fishing.

Have fun!

Maybe take a look at some used TFO rods. I worked/guided out of an Orvis shop for a long time and while I really like their rods and older reels (I have five older Battenkill LAs), I think TFO gives most manufacturers a run for their money day in and day out, you can get a nice 4pc 5wt for ~$100. In all of the schools I've run I've always recommended a 8.5-9' 5wt for general trout fishing and it's fine for pond fishing as well unless big bucketmouths are present, you'd be in for a lengthy fight with a 5wt there. A little long for smaller streams sometimes, but you'll learn how to manage it.

The biggest thing I would recommend is to not skimp on the lines. You can make a yard sale rod cast like a multi-hundred dollar rod with the right line on it. And don't fall for the "faster is better" deal with fly rods, find a rod that is comfortable doesn't need to be super high line speed. A good idea might be to grab something reasonable for the season, then go to the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset NJ next January, they have a casting pond set up and you can borrow rods from manufacturers booths for test casting which is a great way to see what you like.

Ok from reviewing some info on my reel I had so generously given to me its a Scientific Angler System 7..I really couldnt find a ton of info on it other than several that say its good for 5/6/7 weight line. If I can cast 5 or 6 from it which would you get

Rod:

8.5' or 9' 5 weight

OR

8.5' or 9' 6 weight

this is mostly for Trout and or bass even crappie or pond/lake bass..im sure just like with trout there is a small chance id get something larger but most are in the typical range

trout stocking size to 16 maybe 18" tops like I said ive seen a few 20+" but in 45 years of fishing my largest catch ever is 18" Brown out of the far side of Kinzua Dam in the Allegheny River..and largest bass probably 4-4.5 lbs 22-23"

typically it would be standard size fish

I can look for either but dont really need a 5 AND a 6 weight rod..rather just get 1 so which???

I will second Hboy’s comment on fly line. Do not skimp on that part! I agree that a $100-200 9ft 5 weight will suit most. Glad you got a reel! But for most trout you get into, a reel is simply storage for the fly line.

Good luck, you are in a fantastic part of the world!

A 9' 5 weight is the "swiss army knife" of fly fishing for trout, panfish and smaller bass in streams. It is by far the most popular choice to start out FFing.

Maybe I will look closer at 5 then I was actually looking more at 6 weight as I thought that was more the all around than 5...opens up more options ;)

I've always considered an 8'6" 5 weight to be the best all around trout rod.
Little easier to manage on smaller streams if you want to do that.

But yeah, if you want to go bassin, a 9 footer would be better

Back