Nockamixon muskellunge, tiger muskellunge biologists' web report posted

M

Mike

http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2015bio/6x10_19nockamixon.htm

Wow.

Some continued very strong evidence for the efficacy of stocking yearling purebreds. Also very strong growth rates. Kudos to Muskies Inc for their efforts in acquiring these fish for stocking in public waters.

oh so there are Muskies in the nock? lol
Thanks for the report

The report is not just about the number present, but about the success of stocking fewer but larger fish of a species that was previously unsuccessful in the lake, their rapid growth, their somewhat surprising early maturity, and it even begins to shed light on their movements. In my view it may also lead to a way to save angler dollars within the muskellunge stocking program in the future.

Wow! I knew there were musky there but I didn't know that the population was that great! I know that the population at Marsh Creek is very good also. We should put together a PaFlyFish Musky day next year!! What do you think ??

mooney4 wrote:
We should put together a PaFlyFish Musky day next year!! What do you think ??

We've long needed a muskie jam. If you want to head this up, start a thread in the Events forum with a date and location (just pick a time and place, don't waste time trying to get consensus) and folks who can attend will attend. Weekends are best. For a lake like this, I would recommend springtime.

Late March and very early April find muskies cruising the surface waters, near and off-shore, often within a foot or two of the surface based on past netting surveys. These surveys had nothing to do with the subject study. While more were caught overnight, that may have been because the nets were more visible in daylight and the fish avoided them to some extent. Surface and near-surface activity at that time of the year would make sense if the fish are seeking limited amount of warmest water in the lakes. Likewise, very shallow coves or the shallowest water in the coves situated so that they receive the maximum amount of sunlight during the day offer the same benefit, and are attractive to carp as well at that time of the year. They are also attractive to baitfish and striped bass hybrids. A cold, clear night will chase them out, however, until the cove warms again. The bottom line would be to hit the shallows in early spring while the shallows are seeing increased activity. Don't wait for the water or weather to warm up.

Mike wrote:
Late March and very early April find muskies cruising the surface waters, near and off-shore, often within a foot or two of the surface based on past netting surveys. These surveys had nothing to do with the subject study. While more were caught overnight, that may have been because the nets were more visible in daylight and the fish avoided them to some extent. Surface and near-surface activity at that time of the year would make sense if the fish are seeking limited amount of warmest water in the lakes. Likewise, very shallow coves or the shallowest water in the coves situated so that they receive the maximum amount of sunlight during the day offer the same benefit, and are attractive to carp as well at that time of the year. They are also attractive to baitfish and striped bass hybrids. A cold, clear night will chase them out, however, until the cove warms again. The bottom line would be to hit the shallows in early spring while the shallows are seeing increased activity. Don't wait for the water or weather to warm up.

Great info/advise ^ (anecdotal affirmation from an angler)

The same is true in the fall. The muskies cruise as well as hide in cover throughout the shallows. The more cover (weeds, wood, rocks) the better. The peak for this pattern is when the water temp rises and approaches 50°F in the spring, and again lowers towards 50°F in the fall.

I've caught a number of tiger muskies in the Nock over the years. Always when targeting bass. Caught 2 in one day. They all ran 26 to 30 inches. Caught in spring in shallow weeds. Most in the Haycock arm.

Thanks for the heads up on the report.

I'd be up for a friendly "toothy" get together on either of the lakes come Spring time. Im sure we'd get others! Who wants to start the thread????????

Back