No respect!

D

dryflyguy

After reading the report about the steelhead finally running at Erie, I went up on thursday.
Stopping at the flyshop in Follies campground, I found out that the fish were all still in the lower stretches of the streams, and hadn't yet made it to the upper parts, where I usually fish. So, I had to crowd in with the rest of the people closer to the lake.
Walnut creek had tons of fish, so I spent the day there.
And I did quite well - landing 7 fish, with quite a few more that got away, in spite of the crowded conditions. And everyone was pretty considerate of others. As soon as someone hooked a fish, everybody close by pulled their lines in until it was landed.
But one thing that bothered me, was seeing lots of guys dragging their stringers of fish along the ground,- like dragging a deer.
Now, I don't fish up there a whole lot anymore like i did 20 -30 years ago. But, I can' remember seeing this done before.
When I used to keep fish long ago, I always carried them out , and would never think of doing that. And if you plan on eating them, this isn't a good idea - they have very small scales that probably rub right off, putting dirt into the meat.
I also observed a few people who released their fish, but after unhooking it, kicked it back into the deep water.

With all the people who fish up there, I guess there is just always going to be some boorish behavior

Doubt if the fish mind.
Gotta admit it bugged me listening to some first dayers killing their catch by hitting them on a bridge abutment.Thawk,Thawk,Thawk.
Decided that was probably better than a lingering death.
Stopped sweating it after that.

The quickest way to dispatch a salmonid is to slit its throat behind the gills and stick your thumb in the roof of its mouth and break its neck by push the head back over the spin, quick and painless.

I'm guilty of both dragging large fish, and also beating them on the head. I felt like both activities were merited. I had to drag a large king salmon for a few thousand yards one time, and my hands were full of various things. I'd probably do it again, given the situation. When I used to keep trout, I would often pop their heads off a rock, or hard ground a few times to kill them. I didn't like slowly killing them on a stringer.

For what it's worth, I have voluntarily killed two fish in the last three years. One of them was a salmon that would have died within a week anyway. The other was a large holdover brown, and I had some friends that were looking for a fresh fish meal. Both of these fish were taken on fly gear. I think my karma won't feel too much of the effects of any impure activities that I may have admitted to above.

I have no problem with people keeping fish. For many, eating them is why they go fishing, and that's fine.
It was just kinda sad to see these mighty fish dragged around on the ground like that IMO.
A legal limit of 3 fish on a stringer would weigh about what - 15 to 20 pounds. That's too much to carry?
And I sure wouldnt want to do that with something I'm gonna eat.

I remember once when I was up there about 20 years ago. I was talking with a WCO, when a boy came walking down the creek dragging a single fish on the ground. That really ticked off this WCO and he went over and told him about it. He even ended up fining this kid for something - never found out exactly what for.

Chaz wrote:
The quickest way to dispatch a salmonid is to slit its throat behind the gills and stick your thumb in the roof of its mouth and break its neck by push the head back over the spin, quick and painless.

Chaz,

That has a Dr. Kovorkian meets Tony Soprano ring to it.

So which is painless...the slitting of the throat or the breaking of the neck? Or is it both, or just painless for the hitman. :lol:

There is skin under those tiny scales, so maybe they are thinking many of the scales are probably rubbed off by dragging the fish. But I seriously doubt that dirt gets into the meat because of the skin. I don't usually keep any, but when I do, I try not to drag them. Who knows what you might drag it through. People walk dogs in the parks, don't they? I'd rather scrub off the tiny scales when I gt home instead of leaves, dirt and dog poo before cutting them into steaks of filleting them. But to each their own. They aren't dead relatives. They are a dead fish that more than likely will be eaten, so why should i care if someone is dragging it out like a dead deer?

Chaz wrote:

Chaz, that's fine and dandy for dispatching a 12 inch rainbow trout, but I take it you haven't tried that on a 10 pound steelhead. For that matter, I take it you never stuck a thumb inside a steelhead's mouth before. If you try that method on a steelhead, the blood you will see will be your own.

The slitting the throat is a good idea though if you plan to eat the fish.

If you are contemplating killing a fish, always summon a priest:

high_quality_fishing_priest.jpg

Chaz,

My mentor an old school fisherman from Adams county keeps fish a bit he does that put fingers in mouth snap head back thing the first time i saw that i was like what the @#$% but it does em in right off and i respect him so as a fisherman and person that hey y'know! also some people buy licences to keep fish and enjoy eating trout so what can you say. the thwacking them on bridge abutments sounds a little too extreme though...

S,

OR take its picture, While its laying there in the mud so long as it is being dragged through it!!! As you say.

Steve 98

Sorry
no disrespect to you FLY Guy
Steve98

Back