No chub in the breeches?

The Rodfather

The Rodfather

While admittedly the sample size is small, as an experienced chubber, I am deeply concerned about the lack of presence in the breeches. My posse and I hit it hard yesterday evening and came up with the big ole goose egg. Nothing even rising closer to sundown.

I am wondering if the recent rainfall killed them off? Thoughts or tips appreciated.

I was at a recent Dauphin County L.O.C event and multiple chubsmen said their catches of creek chubs were down recently

While admittedly the sample size is small, as an experienced chubber, I am deeply concerned about the lack of presence in the breeches. My posse and I hit it hard yesterday evening and came up with the big ole goose egg. Nothing even rising closer to sundown.

I am wondering if the recent rainfall killed them off? Thoughts or tips appreciated.
May I inquire about your Semotilus set up??

Dam removals may have decreased water temperatures, and reduced the amount of slack water, which may have made it less suitable for chubs.

Try using a 9 foot 4x leader to a size 14 silver doctor on dropper and a size 14 governor on point fly. As troutbert about temp, if your not getting them in mainstem wading up in tribs with small drys is the go to for veteran chubby chasers.

Define killed em' off? Like physically killed them or killed off the bite? I wouldn't have wasted my time at the Breeches. Only time I ever fished there I got skunked and got royally roasted by a fly fisher who has less skilled than I and a spin bro (spin bro was a regular at the creek). To this day I do not understand how I lost to the fly fisher. My drifts were better, my depth was better, and I probably had better fly selection than this person, although I did let them get some flies out of my box). Heck, I even had a better rod (my finest nymph rod) for the task at hand. Water was up but fishable so it should have been a trout slaughter considering my point fly was a rubber-legged stone. Water was flat where I fished and there was only one solid run that I could see that was worth fishing, which was where we fished during the majority of our time there. I HATE staying in a single spot when trout fishing, I'll grind for steelhead, but that's because I know the fish are moving up and down the creek and I want to hold a good position for myself to fish as well as others in the group. Due to all of that, I don't foresee myself ever going back there.

If you wanna get some chubs come down my way. I racked up over forty this past this Thurs on my favorite chubbin' creek, most were around 2 inches if you can deal with catching small fish. Felt like I was in Japan fishing Edo Style with the size of these fish. Was surprised I could feel the takes on my 9ft 4wt, truly amazing what the latest tech from G. Loomis can do!

th
Define killed em' off? Like physically killed them or killed off the bite? I wouldn't have wasted my time at the Breeches. Only time I ever fished there I got skunked and got royally roasted by a fly fisher who has less skilled than I and a spin bro (spin bro was a regular at the creek). To this day I do not understand how I lost to the fly fisher. My drifts were better, my depth was better, and I probably had better fly selection than this person, although I did let them get some flies out of my box). Heck, I even had a better rod (my finest nymph rod) for the task at hand. Water was up but fishable so it should have been a trout slaughter considering my point fly was a rubber-legged stone. Water was flat where I fished and there was only one solid run that I could see that was worth fishing, which was where we fished during the majority of our time there. I HATE staying in a single spot when trout fishing, I'll grind for steelhead, but that's because I know the fish are moving up and down the creek and I want to hold a good position for myself to fish as well as others in the group. Due to all of that, I don't foresee myself ever going back there.

If you wanna get some chubs come down my way. I racked up over forty this past this Thurs on my favorite chubbin' creek, most were around 2 inches if you can deal with catching small fish. Felt like I was in Japan fishing Edo Style with the size of these fish. Was surprised I could feel the takes on my 9ft 4wt, truly amazing what the latest tech from G. Loomis can do!
Local guy near me I call Tenkara Tommy is into the small stream Tenkara chub game. I have a private spring creek near me that provides a great chub fishery close to home.

May I inquire about your Semotilus set up??
9ft 4x proctor kicking beetle. As it gets warmer I switch to goddard sedge.

Maybe I'll have to go look harder for slack waters and warmer temps as well as getting out on the scorchers mid summer.

Try using a 9 foot 4x leader to a size 14 silver doctor on dropper and a size 14 governor on point fly. As troutbert about temp, if your not getting them in mainstem wading up in tribs with small drys is the go to for veteran chubby chasers.
I'll try this out. Sounds simple enough

Yeah, just killed off the bite. The breeches was a bit disappointing.

Where abouts in your way? I don't mind small chub at all. A fish is a fish in my book. Life is too short to worry about catching monsters or not. Especially C&R.

Fished at Allenberry the other night, fish were rising here and there, Caught a few browns while a blue herron watched closely. The next fish I hooked up with was 7 inch chub and tossed onto the bank. The herron was on it in seconds and seemed to hang around me for the rest of the evening.

Fished at Allenberry the other night, fish were rising here and there, Caught a few browns while a blue herron watched closely. The next fish I hooked up with was 7 inch chub and tossed onto the bank. The herron was on it in seconds and seemed to hang around me for the rest of the evening.
You probably caught a fallfish not a true creek chub. Have to ask, why the need to throw the native fallfish on the bank(wanton waste). I go to that section specifically to fish for those, if it was legal i’d be throwing those stocked brown trout on the bank instead. Is throwing fall fish on the bank a common practice?

Probably not the first time you banked a 7 inch chubb.

Back