Nice flathead, Juniata River

jifigz

jifigz

This is about the biggest flathead I've seen anyone present out of the Juniata thus far. My cousin's husband caught it. I don't know exactly where, but knowing him I'm sure that he was bass fishing and using "stonecats" as bait. Either way, a 25 lb flattie. That's the new top dog in my river, no doubt about it. The flathead is without a doubt the apex predator in the Juniata now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200912-123405_1599946907852.jpg
    Screenshot_20200912-123405_1599946907852.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 43
Definitely a big Flattie for the J, makes sense that they are in there.

Yeah, no doubt. They've been in the J for a little while. This is just the biggest I've seen. I am curious as to see how big the J will produce.

I want to catch a few.

Kiss the smallies goodbye

We've discussed the matter of flatheads (FH) in the J in previous threads and I recall there was some speculation that habitat is limited for them.

While I don't want to see FH spreading, it's inevitable that they will go right up the J to the dam below Petersburg. However I wonder how many FH will "stick" in the J? This is a shallow river and while there are log jams at the bridge pilings, there is just not a lot of habitat comparable to what one sees down in the impounded sections of the Susky where FH are currently so numerous.

It may turn out that FH come to be associated with a couple of the deeper pools in the J but that, overall, there doesn't turn out to be many of them in most of the river(?)

Keep us informed of news of FH in the J - interesting topic.

Dave, I think the flathead will be much more suited than you are giving credit for. I think we will grow a lot of flatheads in the 10-20 lb range and not find many bigger than that. I think there are PLENTY of areas with sizable rocks/boulders for them to stack behind. I think they are going to be a pretty successful fish up here. I also know quite a few stretches of long, deep water with very little current. There are also a lot of tires for them. I don't think it will take much depth/structure for them, but I could be wrong.

Flatheads interest me a great deal. I used to fish for cats a lot and I still find it to be a very fun form of angling. I am determined to get some flatheads. And I'd like to catch some on some streamers.

Back