Newville Fly Pattern

R

riverdance

I recently moved to the heart of Pa. limestone country and have been getting reaquainted with streams I enjoyed 30 years ago. I have spent some time on Big Spring this past year and learned while doing some Google sleuthing that in its heydey as a brook trout fishery a pattern was developed called the Newville. I have not been able to find any information about the pattern on the web and I am hoping that someone in this group may be familiar with it. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

I recall references to the Newville or Neville fly in conversations between my father and his fishing buddies in the early 60's. If I recall correctly, it is variation on a black gnat wet/dry. I wish I could ask one of them, but they are on a long term fishing trip to heaven.

Many thanks. This is a start and hopefully others will help complete the pattern. If they're fishing in heaven, I'll bet it looks like Big Spring with 50 18 inch Brookies in every pool.

Newville

Hook: 18-20
Thread: Black
Tail: Dark Dun (almost black) Rooster Hackle Fibers
Wings: Dun or Black
Body: Peacock Herl
Hackle: Dark Blue Dun Rooster

Thanks very much! Can I ask where you found this pattern. Does anyone still fish it?

Sounds like this pattern....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/070802fotw.php

Thanks for passing this along. I found this book at an antique shop in Carlisle and its on my tying bench at all times. I've used some similar patterns with grizzly hackle but nothing that was called a Newville. I am wondering now if the Newville was a category of peacock bodied flies with different tail and hackle types. I'll give these a try and post the results. Thanks again.

Yes, thanks I recall that now. I have the Art Flick book you mention but I have'nt used it recently. Time to get back to roots. Thanks!

riverdance wrote:
Thanks very much! Can I ask where you found this pattern. Does anyone still fish it?

No problem, I'm glad to help. That is the original Charlie Fox pattern as per George Harvey's book.

Great and thanks again I'll track it down.

There is a long tradition of peacock and dark dun flies, both wet and dry, used throughout Pa. One of my first flies was given to me by the guys in the camp near our opening day spot past Peck's Pond and was peacock with a dark dun wing tied wet. Still slays 'em.

Thanks very much for your response. I'll be trying these out on the bench shortly and hopefully I'll get the same reaction from those Big Spring trout.

BrookieChaser wrote:

Newville

Hook: 18-20
Thread: Black
Tail: Dark Dun (almost black) Rooster Hackle Fibers
Wings: Dun or Black
Body: Peacock Herl
Hackle: Dark Blue Dun Rooster

"That will work." :)

I've never heard of this fly before, but it sounds like a good one.

Back