newcomer - Pittsburgh

N

niau

Hi All,

I am a newcomer to Pittsburgh PA. Will stay in the city till May. I enjoy fly fishing and have several years of experience in it.
I have a few questions about it in regards to Pittsburgh, PA:

1. What could be catch nearby Pittsburgh? I guess in PA there are many nice places and streams but since I do not have a car and do not want to buy one for such a short stay I would prefer anything that might be close to the city and reached by buss or train.

2. When is the season? E.g when is legal to go fishing. Also from where can I buy fishing permit and how does it cost.

3. May you advice me about some proper shops in Pittsburgh from where I may buy fly fishing tackle?

4. Are there any clubs or events in or near Pittsburgh that I could visit and meet with local colleagues?

BR,
Nikolay Milovanov

Welcome aboard. The locals probably can steer you in the right direction. GG

1. I'm originally from about an hour NE of the city. In the city itself, you have the rivers, which are primarily smallmouth bass fishing, and they're gonna be real difficult without a boat. There are some stocked trout fisheries in the area, the locals will have to help you with those. PA is an excellent wild trout state, but Pittsburgh is not exactly in the heart of it. An hour or so to the SE is the Laurel Highlands, where there is good trout fishing. 2 hrs north to the National Forest area is also good. 3 hrs to the east puts you in central PA, which is the heart of our best trout fishing.

2. For Approved Trout Waters (ATW's), the season lasts through the end of February. From the first of March through April 14th these streams are closed. April 14th is the opening day of trout season.

A list of ATW's can be found here: http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutregs_sw.htm

That said, our ATW's typically get too warm in the summertime, and the trout die. That's why they must be stocked. All of these streams are stocked in the Spring (closed season in March), but only a few are stocked in the fall, so you'd want to check stocking schedules before fishing in February.

Also, we have a number of special reg sections which would be open during the closed season. And many wild trout streams, which are not labeled ATW's, are also open on a catch and release basis. You can find those listings and regulations by navigating around the fish commission site I posted. If you have any questions, feel free to post.

Fishing licenses can be purchased online or at a number of outdoor related stores, such as ****'s Sporting Goods and many others. http://fishandboat.com/license.htm Prices depend on options, and whether you are a resident. For instance, I'm a resident, the license is $22.70, plus $9.70 for a trout permit. If I wish to fish the Lake Erie watershed, I need an Erie permit for another $9.70, or I can get a combo trout/Erie permit for $15.70.

3. Defer to locals.

4. Defer to locals, though this site is probably one of the best "clubs" going, and there are relatively frequent events, and you can likely find someone to give you rides to places.

Here's the best shop in the Pittsburgh area.

http://www.internationalangler.com/

You should be able to get pretty close by bus (the 28X bus should get you to Robinson). Also Montour Run is fairly close to that (Robinson area), which is stocked by the state and also a local club, so there's a decent amount of fish in there typically.

The new stocking schedules aren't up yet, but here's GPS coordinates for local streams in that area. It'll update fairly soon with the dates of the stockings.

http://pfbc.state.pa.us/pfbc_webgis/TroutStockingDetails.aspx

You can buy your license just about anywhere. Most sporting goods stores like ****s, Dunhams, Gander Mountain. Or even places like Walmart and KMart have them.

Keep asking questions. There's a good amount of people in that area that should be able to help you out.

Also don't be afraid to just walk around the downtown area, especially by all the stadiums and fish. You should get the occasional bass or carp in there.

Ryan

Thanks guys!

I will review the provided sites. As you might imagine I have a lot of questions :)

The season is closing end of Feb for all kinds of fish or just for trout?

I have to buy one fishing license till the end of Feb and another one from the beginning of March or I can just buy one and it is valid for one year?

I will appreciate to meet with you guys on some of your events. Since I do not have a car will be very nice if once I get equipped somebody gives me an initial introduction to the local streams and fly fishing ;)

Regarding the shop it is like 1.49 mins from my location. Will try to visit it on Saturday :)

"Trout" season will open in the middle of April (I think the 14th). It's a bit complicated, but you can't fish any stream/lake that has been stocked in any section until that day. You can fish for other species like bass, bluegill, carp, etc in any stream that has NOT been stocked. You can also fish for non-stocked trout as long as you release them. Just ask on here if you plan to go somewhere and we'll tell you if it's ok or not.

The fishing license runs for a calendar year. So you can buy one now and be set for all of 2012.

If you're here throughout May, then maybe you can tag along with someone to our big annual event. It'll be well worth your while. The dates aren't set in stone yet but it'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd weekend in May.

http://www.paflyfish.com/smartsection.item.202/2011-fly-fishing-jamboree-and-meetup.html

A basic fishing license is required to fish for any species. To fish for trout, you need a an add on (plus a few dollars) trout stamp. There is also a special add on stamp to fish the Lake Erie watershed (2 hours north of Pittsburgh), where you can catch steelhead in the streams. If you want both the trout and Erie stamps, you can get a combination trout/Erie stamp the saves you a few dollars over buying each separately with your license. I think my license with a combination stamp cost me $38.

Welcome to Pittsburgh and PaFlyFish!

Montour Run has trout (albeit stocked). Never thought to check that. The girls like to make a trip out to the 'burgh to shop robinson mall a few times a year. I'll have to remember to bring the gear. Beats walking around the mall bored.

anyone ever fish it?

Fished Montour Run a few times. Typical put and take. Most fish are by the bridges. Gets fished hard, but they stock it fairly well. If it's convenient then go, but not a destination.

Hiya,

Again thanks for the advices.
Please give me some advices with what kinds of flies to try to stock for the creaks around Pittsburgh.

I guess the first one I will try will be Montour Run. It looks perfect for somebody in my situation ;)

Also in the so called no stocked streams.

Not sure about the steelhead. Have never tried to catch such thing.I guess if there is time will give it a try.

You could try Bull Creek and Deer Creek for stocked trout both are about a 25 minute drive from pittsburgh up 28. For info on local hatches and what flies to use on bull creek an deer creek stop in allgheny bait and tackle in tarentum just off 28 they have alot of good flies and the owner is pretty knowledgable

Bluegill in Panther Hallow Lake (Oakland)

Welcome from a Pittsburginite. (If thats a word) They were stocking Turtle Creek the stream of my youth. I have had some of the best small mouth fising in earshot of the Pirates games, there are many places to fish, so go to a bait & tackle shop buy something and pump them for info. You might just find what your looking for. Good luck.B.A.

I grew up five minutes from Montour Creek. I fished it a ton as a kid, but very rarely after I graduated from college. That being said, if I did go there at this time of year, I would have very low expectations. The stream does not do a good job of holding trout for any extended period of time.

There are two places you can park that will put you where you would want to try - near the Brother's Grimm bar and lounge or off Ewings Mill Road between Robinson and Moon. There's a bridge that goes over the creek, this is where you'll want to park. Check out a map and you should be fine finding these places. The stream runs along the Montour Trail, so it's easy to navigate, but there aren't a ton of places where you'd really want to to fish.

As for patterns, I'd rely on wolly buggers and your basic nymph patterns.

Thanks again for the advices. I went to Montour Creek (still without a rod) and did a nice walk there. Spotted also some fish and can say that all together was quite nice. Met also a local fly fishermen who gave me valuable advices and ideas. Maybe we will go even make a combined fishing trip next week.

If I have time and the weather is nice enough I might go the Deer Creek.

you can also look into going to state college, PA. it where penn state university is. this has some of the best flyfishing in not only PA but the entire rehion. there is a bus from downtown PGH to state college, next to the campus. from there spring creek is a few miles away. do a web search and get some infoe. anywhere along the creek will hold trout, some very large ones too. the bus ride is 3 hours and costs $50 round trip. there is an econo lodge near bellfonte that is within walking distance of the creek. call flyfishers paradise for info. this is worth the trip.

Thanks riz that's certainly interesting. This week I already have a plan but maybe next week will attack :) Certainly Spring Creek looks more then nice. Thanks for the info.

i might be a little late here but another creek that is close to pittsburgh is Pine Creek. It runs from north park lake to the allegheny river. Up towards the northern part of the creek they have it stocked pretty good with some delayed harvest sections that will hold till the middle of summer, then they stock it in the fall. Many people fly fishing there. Now down were the creek enters in the river, its good walleye fishing ive heard, great channel cat fishing, great carp, SM, and white bass fishing. This creek parallels route 8 for most of its time so you can go on google maps and find it. You should have a lot of fun there. We were still catching 10+ fish at the end of may this past year.

This is a great Burgher thread, been looking for such for awhile. Thing is, I've lived in Pgh for 14 years now, and have not caught a single trout around Pittsburgh!! I mostly fish with spinning rod, however do flyfish just haven't been doing it enough. I got a whole mess of new fly fishing gear over the winter, and I am not going to stop this spring until I catch a trout.

My problem is just finding the right spots. I find the creeks, but don't know which part of the creek to fish. I've been to Montour Run 3 times over the summer. Tried the part of the creek right off Montour Run road just past the entrance to K-mart/ Gander mountain. Saw some rising trout just after the bridge, not enough room to flyfish so tried spinning rod with some mealworms, no bites I think I spooked them, plus theres a swimming hole right down stream where a bunch of kids are always jumping in, that didn't help my situation any. I talked to a local that said about 45 minutes down the mountour trail there is a great spot behind some Rod/ Gun club where it is actually stocked, tried finding the place but was unsuccessful. I did go to the spot right behind Brothers Grimm restaurant, but didn't see anything promising so didn't fish it, probably should have tried further down stream.

I tried Pine Creek over the summer as well, when to a spot off further up Bryant road because it looked like the stock point at the abandoned RR trussel was heavily fished due to the amount of cars on the side of the road. No trout fishin with worms. Tried further down stream past the trussel right off Duncan Ave (had to climb down a cliff it was kinda scary), no trout there either. My guess is it was just too hot of a day, as trout can be really picky.

Some odd 5 years ago or so, I tried fly fishing at what I think was Bull Creek, again just couldn't find a good spot. Water was murky and shallow, just no bites.

I think my situation is a combination of bad luck and just not knowing the right spots. I frequently fish the Mon and Allegheny river because I live in the city. Catch a whole mess of smallmouth and largemouth on crankbaits/ spinnerbaits, and even a nice Sauger in late October last year.

I have a seriously itching fly fishing finger, and I'm going to be getting out there again as soon as the weather allows it. Of course early spring/ late fall are one of the best times for trout fishing since the water temps are down...so if anybody could provide better details as to particular spots, that would be great!

I guess fish do not sit at one particular place waiting to be caught. It's not easy to catch a fish on a fly in that season. If you do not know the places or you go there for a first time it is even more difficult. It is also quite tricky to pick a right fly for the right moment.

My experience till now is:
1 hooked but then missed rainbow on a small creek next to Youghiogheny River and nothing from today on Neshannock creek. Actually I hooked a fish even two but they were not trouts. Did mostly czech stile nymphing.

So as a summary here fishing is exactly as difficult at that time of the year as in good old Europe. It definitely helps to know the rivers but I do not know them for now ;) Hope next one to lend the first trout.

Tight lines

Back