Newbie to forum. Hello!!

Streamhawk

Hello. I am new to the board. Currently live in Cincinnati, but moving to the Pittsburgh area in late September/ October. Thought I would get on here and do some research on where to fish, and find out about local fly fishing clubs to join. Living here in Cincinnati there are not many opportunities to fly fish for trout, so I have to travel to get my fix. I fish for steelhead in the spring and fall up on the lake, and take trips to the Cumberland river in KY, and also TN.

When we move, we will be living south / south east of Pittsburgh, and was wondering if there are any fly fishing clubs in that area. Also, was wondering about streams in the area? Not looking for honey holes, just some general direction in which waters to hit, and ones to not waste time on. Also, what waters can I float on with a float boat. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully see some of you on the water.

Thanks,
James

Streamhawk, not from that area. I am sure some one else will be able to help you. But just wanted to say welcome. Good luck with your move.

GenCon

Welcome to the forum. In addition to getting info from forum members in the Pittsburgh area you should check out the local Trout Unlimited Chapter.

Streamhawk wrote:
Also, what waters can I float on with a float boat. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
James

James,
Welcome to our online community. You'll be moving to a nice area of PA but not the greatest for trout fishing. Generally speaking, the best trout fishing is eastward getting into the Appalachian areas. Think at least an hour to good, wild trout fishing, maybe less depending on where exactly you move to. For floating, you're lucky: not too far away is the Youghiogheny River (pronounced "yock" by us folks in PA). The Yough is a world class tailrace with very good trout fishing that tapers off to bass fishing as you get downriver closer to Pittsburgh (the river flows westward). Check the link in the upper right side of this page "Where to Fly Fish" to get started. Keep in touch. We'll help you get adjusted to fly fishing in PA.
Best,
DaveW

Just for clarification, I am not from Cincinnati, I am from NJ, and I make fun of the Bengals just like everyone else. LOL. I would not call it a "Jungle" here, more like a petting zoo. LOL

Streamhawk,

I say Welcome to the Jungle, because (quoting Axel Rose) the people on this forum have "What You Need"

I'm still new to this aspect of fishing and the people here have gone well out of their way to help me and a lot of others shorten the learning curve with fly-fishing.

If you can, come to the "Fish and Chips" event at the end of July and you will see what I mean!

James,
Welcome to our online community. You'll be moving to a nice area of PA but not the greatest for trout fishing. Generally speaking, the best trout fishing is eastward getting into the Appalachian areas. Think at least an hour to good, wild trout fishing, maybe less depending on where exactly you move to. For floating, you're lucky: not too far away is the Youghiogheny River (pronounced "yock" by us folks in PA). The Yough is a world class tailrace with very good trout fishing that tapers off to bass fishing as you get downriver closer to Pittsburgh (the river flows westward). Check the link in the upper right side of this page "Where to Fly Fish" to get started. Keep in touch. We'll help you get adjusted to fly fishing in PA.
Best,
DaveW

Thanks for the welcome Dave. From some of the reading that I have done it seems central PA is the place to go, and east. Hour drive is not bad at all since I would drive more than an hour to do some decent trout fishing / steelhead fishing. I will look into the"Yock", did not know there was trout fishing there. Thanks for the info. I am also guessing eastern West Virgina is not too far of a drive either for trout fishing. Well, thanks for the info and the welcome.

Streamhawk wrote:
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Is there good trout fishing in Maryland???

You're welcome James.

Yes, western MD also has world class trout fishing. The upper section of the Yough is actually in MD and also fishes very well for trout up there as well. If you look at a map of MD, the westernmost county (Garrett) is the area you'll wish to explore for trout fishing.

Back