Newbie to FF visiting the poconos in June looking for suggestions and/or company

Dear Nymph-wristed,

It's nice in this day and age to see someone exercise caution. The coming week right now looks sunny, warm, and as dry as a popcorn fart here in Harrisburg, so who knows what lies ahead?

It's good to know that there are still people who will exercise caution and warn people today. Way back when in the olden days, I used to call fly shops ahead of a trip and was often told to stay the hell home. They knew I would drop coin on them, but they were still decent enough to tell me to drop the coin another time.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I call it trout woke, Tim, and it can be a curse sometimes. But to your point, it's looking dry! A lot of brown lawns in SEPA, so someone has to sound the yellow alert?

I call it trout woke, Tim, and it can be a curse sometimes. But to your point, it's looking dry! A lot of brown lawns in SEPA, so someone has to sound the yellow alert?
Dear Nymph-wristed,

Call it whatever you wish, it shows a concern for the resource and that is what matters.

The OP, KMS, can still fish fly fish in the Poconos with a 9' 5wt if it stays dry. He may not be trout fishing, but bluegills and other panfish as well as largemouth bass will hit flies readily this time of year. Depending on where KMS is staying there are many ponds and lakes in the Poconos with greedy warmwater fish to explore. I'll bet he can have fun even if he doesn't target trout.

Regards,

Hi all:

I'll be heading up to the Poconos near Camelback to stay for probably for a week or so later this month, timing flexible, and looking for suggestions on places to explore and/or company fishing.

I got a new Orvis clearwater 9ft5wt rod and reel for my birthday (57th), completed the Orvis 101 and 201 classes, and been on one guided run of the Tulpehocken where I caught a couple trout on both dries and nymphs. I bought a bunch of guide suggested flies and am equipped with waders, staff, cleated boots, etc. I've also been told my casting is pretty good for a beginner - i.e., my aim is pretty good and presentation varies between good and ok with the occasional splat - but I'm definitely in the steep part of the learning curve. I'm open to coaching/guidance too if someone feels like offering, especially regarding reading the water, but not expecting someone to commit to offering free instruction.

Any/all advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Mason
Dear Mason,

If the weather stays warm and dry trout fishing may be a bit of a stretch in the next few weeks. I read that you are staying at Camelback and they have ponds on the property. It might be worth asking if fishing is allowed. If it is, I'll bet the fish are pretty much unpressured and the ponds will hold some nice sized bluegills and bass.

Get some size 8 or 10 poppers and sponge spiders and bring some size 12 nymphs like Prince nymphs or Hare's Ears to tie on a dropper to the bend of the popper hook. First time you get a double with a pair of 8- or 9-inch bluegills on it you'll quickly forget about trout fishing!

Brady's Lake and Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro State Parks all have lakes within a 20-to-30-minute drive of Camelback that are definitely worth checking out. Public access is guaranteed too!

State Gamelands 38 is closer to Camelback and has some ponds on it, but I have never been to the ponds and cannot comment on the fishing there. Still, it might make for a nice walk one morning to see what critters are out and about.

Regards,

Dear Mason,

If the weather stays warm and dry trout fishing may be a bit of a stretch in the next few weeks. I read that you are staying at Camelback and they have ponds on the property. It might be worth asking if fishing is allowed. If it is, I'll bet the fish are pretty much unpressured and the ponds will hold some nice sized bluegills and bass.

Get some size 8 or 10 poppers and sponge spiders and bring some size 12 nymphs like Prince nymphs or Hare's Ears to tie on a dropper to the bend of the popper hook. First time you get a double with a pair of 8- or 9-inch bluegills on it you'll quickly forget about trout fishing!

Brady's Lake and Tobyhanna and Gouldsboro State Parks all have lakes within a 20-to-30-minute drive of Camelback that are definitely worth checking out. Public access is guaranteed too!

State Gamelands 38 is closer to Camelback and has some ponds on it, but I have never been to the ponds and cannot comment on the fishing there. Still, it might make for a nice walk one morning to see what critters are out and about.

Regards,

Thanks Tim! I don't want to stress the trout if the conditions are unfavorable for them: I'm fish agnostic - trout, bass, pickerel, catfish, carp, bluegill, whatever, I don't care. But I would very much like to explore more stream and river rather than lake fishing. I do keep a 14ft porta-bote at the Pocono house, though it hasn't seen much use in recent years as my daughter is no longer interested and it's a hassle to solo.

Last edited:
worst case you can always go fishing in delaware river. you will sure end up catching sunnies and smallies.

i was fishing delaware river today. caught a bunch of fat sunnies. they are always fun

Sun2

Sun1

I sometimes fish the Delaware by Port Jervis. The sunfish and gils can be large and slab sided. The larger ones tend to be relatively deep in the warmer months. We dug some baby lampreys once and caught some really large ones although we were trying for SMB. They fight hard.

Against mounting odds, @Kms found some success on the mighty Lehigh River yesterday.

He also had his Lehigh River baptism, literally, which you regulars probably know could not have happened at a better time of the year and under kinder conditions. No need to fish him out with a life preserver in Bethlehem or anything drastic, just a cool dip on a hot day (y)

Good to fish with you Mason! I promise you a confidence building trip this fall, as the river can demoralize even some of the best. That said, catching a trout on the river is no small accomplishment! And I hope the experience itself in such a beautiful place was memorable.

20240619_070726-COLLAGE.jpg

Against mounting odds, @Kms found some success on the mighty Lehigh River yesterday.

He also had his Lehigh River baptism, literally, which you regulars probably know could not have happened at a better time of the year and under kinder conditions. No need to fish him out with a life preserver in Bethlehem or anything drastic, just a cool dip on a hot day (y)

Good to fish with you Mason! I promise you a confidence building trip this fall, as the river can demoralize even some of the best. That said, catching a trout on the river is no small accomplishment! And I hope the experience itself in such a beautiful place was memorable.

20240619_070726-COLLAGE.jpg

Chris, thank you so very much for showing me the ropes on the Lehigh - and for lending me a rod after my (used exactly once Orvis) rod decided to lose it’s tip! It would have been a short day of fishing for me otherwise. Lesson learned: a pair of backup rods are on the way.

This was fishing the way I like it - more challenging with fewer people. I’d much rather take a bath than navigate crowds.

Greatly appreciated, and I look forward to our next venture.

Chris, thank you so very much for showing me the ropes on the Lehigh - and for lending me a rod after my (used exactly once Orvis) rod decided to lose it’s tip! It would have been a short day of fishing for me otherwise. Lesson learned: a pair of backup rods are on the way.

This was fishing the way I like it - more challenging with fewer people. I’d much rather take a bath than navigate crowds.

Greatly appreciated, and I look forward to our next venture.

Awesome! I figured you wanted an experience and you got it, Mason. I will make good on an easier, fish filled day when the weather turns back to more trout-kind this year.

Reactions: Kms
Back