Newbie to FF visiting the poconos in June looking for suggestions and/or company

Kms

Kms

Hi all:

I'll be heading up to the Poconos near Camelback to stay for probably for a week or so later this month, timing flexible, and looking for suggestions on places to explore and/or company fishing.

I got a new Orvis clearwater 9ft5wt rod and reel for my birthday (57th), completed the Orvis 101 and 201 classes, and been on one guided run of the Tulpehocken where I caught a couple trout on both dries and nymphs. I bought a bunch of guide suggested flies and am equipped with waders, staff, cleated boots, etc. I've also been told my casting is pretty good for a beginner - i.e., my aim is pretty good and presentation varies between good and ok with the occasional splat - but I'm definitely in the steep part of the learning curve. I'm open to coaching/guidance too if someone feels like offering, especially regarding reading the water, but not expecting someone to commit to offering free instruction.

Any/all advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Mason

Hi all:

I'll be heading up to the Poconos near Camelback to stay for probably for a week or so later this month, timing flexible, and looking for suggestions on places to explore and/or company fishing.

I got a new Orvis clearwater 9ft5wt rod and reel for my birthday (57th), completed the Orvis 101 and 201 classes, and been on one guided run of the Tulpehocken where I caught a couple trout on both dries and nymphs. I bought a bunch of guide suggested flies and am equipped with waders, staff, cleated boots, etc. I've also been told my casting is pretty good for a beginner - i.e., my aim is pretty good and presentation varies between good and ok with the occasional splat - but I'm definitely in the steep part of the learning curve. I'm open to coaching/guidance too if someone feels like offering, especially regarding reading the water, but not expecting someone to commit to offering free instruction.

Thanks!
Mason
I apologize. Should have posted this to the beginner forum.

Hello, and welcome. Unfortunately, I can't really help you out directly with regard to fishing in the Poconos. However, I thought I would mention the Main Line Fly-Tyers Club, seeing that you show your location as Montgomery County.

My son has lived in Philly for a couple years, so while I was at the Fly Fishing Show in Lancaster a few months ago, I stopped by their booth to see what they had to offer with the idea that maybe I could interest my son in joining their club to get him out of the city once in a while.

Anyway, they seemed like a good group, and they mentioned that they were holding a beginners' fly fishing event at Resica Falls on Bushkill Creek in the Poconos. The event was in mid-April; however, their website shows some older, additional outings they had listed in 2023, so maybe they will have more outings coming up this year, too.

It might be a way to meet some like-minded folks, find some fishing buddies and learn a few things. They did mention that you don't necessarily need to get into tying flies to be in the club even though their name might imply such.

Here is a link to their website:

Main Line Fly-Tyers

Reactions: Kms
Hello, and welcome. Unfortunately, I can't really help you out directly with regard to fishing in the Poconos. However, I thought I would mention the Main Line Fly-Tyers Club, seeing that you show your location as Montgomery County.

My son has lived in Philly for a couple years, so while I was at the Fly Fishing Show in Lancaster a few months ago, I stopped by their booth to see what they had to offer with the idea that maybe I could interest my son in joining their club to get him out of the city once in a while.

Anyway, they seemed like a good group, and they mentioned that they were holding a beginners' fly fishing event at Resica Falls on Bushkill Creek in the Poconos. The event was in mid-April; however, their website shows some older, additional outings they had listed in 2023, so maybe they will have more outings coming up this year, too.

It might be a way to meet some like-minded folks, find some fishing buddies and learn a few things. They did mention that you don't necessarily need to get into tying flies to be in the club even though their name might imply such.

Main Line Fly-Tyers
Thanks! I’ll check them out.

Main Line Fly-Tyers
Ressica Falls would be a good place for a beginner to try out in the Poconos. Also the Lehigh River around White Haven.

Thanks to all who replied. I should also add that I prefer quieter places with fewer people, even if such places have fewer fish.

Hi all:

I got a new Orvis clearwater 9ft5wt rod and reel for my birthday...

Kms:

A couple of things...

With a 9'0" rod you will want to seek out bigger streams. If you don't want to spend all of your time driving, the Pocono Creek is the closest followed by the Brodhead & McMichael's Creeks.

If it's trout fishing you have in mind, stockings will be long over and water temps will be up so if you aren't planning on keeping your catch, early mornings and evenings will be the least stressful to the fish. If you don't already have one, you may also want to invest in a stream thermometer.

As far as tranquility, you will probably see fewer anglers by that time because by June the stocked streams are pretty devoid of anglers & fish. However, there are MORE than a few popular swimming holes on the larger streams so be prepared to have your solitude interrupted on warm days.

As you get closer, I would call Dunkelberger's in Stroudsburg for any fishing reports. Before then, I would also see if you can contact Don Baylor via the Pocono Heritage Land Trust or the Brodhead Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

I've known Don since the mid 1980's when I lived in the area and was a member of Brodhead TU. If there is anyone who knows the Pocono streams better, I have yet to meet them. If you can make contact, Don can give you insight into your options at that time of year. Contacting the Brodhead TU guys would be a big help as well.

FWIW - Don used to work part time at the Stroudsburg Dunkelberger's location so if he still works there you might be able to kill two birds with one stone if you call Dunkelberger's.

Good luck & have fun!!!

Kms:

A couple of things...

With a 9'0" rod you will want to seek out bigger streams. If you don't want to spend all of your time driving, the Pocono Creek is the closest followed by the Brodhead & McMichael's Creeks.

If it's trout fishing you have in mind, stockings will be long over and water temps will be up so if you aren't planning on keeping your catch, early mornings and evenings will be the least stressful to the fish. If you don't already have one, you may also want to invest in a stream thermometer.

As far as tranquility, you will probably see fewer anglers by that time because by June the stocked streams are pretty devoid of anglers & fish. However, there are MORE than a few popular swimming holes on the larger streams so be prepared to have your solitude interrupted on warm days.

As you get closer, I would call Dunkelberger's in Stroudsburg for any fishing reports. Before then, I would also see if you can contact Don Baylor via the Pocono Heritage Land Trust or the Brodhead Chapter of Trout Unlimited.

I've known Don since the mid 1980's when I lived in the area and was a member of Brodhead TU. If there is anyone who knows the Pocono streams better, I have yet to meet them. If you can make contact, Don can give you insight into your options at that time of year. Contacting the Brodhead TU guys would be a big help as well.

FWIW - Don used to work part time at the Stroudsburg Dunkelberger's location so if he still works there you might be able to kill two birds with one stone if you call Dunkelberger's.

Good luck & have fun!!!
Thanks! I joined TU after my lessons with Orvis, and will try to contact the folks you’ve suggested.

Hey, I agree with Bamboozle. I would say fish the Brodhead, Pocono Creek, McMichaels, and have some success. Crowds will be light.

This has a been an odd year. Plenty of rain, but high temps, so I was fishing a NEPA stream yesterday that was 5 degrees warmer than it should be. They may bounce back with a cool week. If they do, I may be willing to show you a couple spot around Camelback. I will be fishing for bass if the current pattern continues! Send me a PM if you like.

Hey, I agree with Bamboozle. I would say fish the Brodhead, Pocono Creek, McMichaels, and have some success. Crowds will be light.

This has a been an odd year. Plenty of rain, but high temps, so I was fishing a NEPA stream yesterday that was 5 degrees warmer than it should be. They may bounce back with a cool week. If they do, I may be willing to show you a couple spot around Camelback. I will be fishing for bass if the current pattern continues! Send me a PM if you like.
Yo Chris, that is an interesting observation. I was actually feeling the opposite of what you say. Compared to last year, I thought creeks were staying much, much cooler.....dang, I can't believe I lost my thermometer.

Good thing I have to pick someone up at the HBG airport next week. I can pick a new thermometer up at BassPro.

...dang, I can't believe I lost my thermometer.

Good thing I have to pick someone up at the HBG airport next week. I can pick a new thermometer up at BassPro.

After leaving more than a few behind, I started tethering mine to the pouch where it is stashed and haven't lost one since...

I use the MSR Ultralight Reflective Cord which is thin, strong & reflective.

I just wrap the cord around the thermometer and secure it with a couple of small O-rings. If you attach the cord to the thermometer with a barrel swivel & split ring or a snap swivel, you can eliminate the twists you get in the cord when you wrap it around the thermometer.

Last edited:
Hi all:

Thanks!
Mason
Last year in July I visited the same area and fished the pohopoco creek. Caught a few beautiful native wild browns on sulfur drys. You might want to try this beauty, as it is bottom fed from the dam above and is always cold water in the heat of summer

Yo Chris, that is an interesting observation. I was actually feeling the opposite of what you say. Compared to last year, I thought creeks were staying much, much cooler.....dang, I can't believe I lost my thermometer.

You might be right about last year, Josh. Last year was nearly drought conditions in NEPA though. Not sure in your neck of woods. This week last year, I could wade across the Lehigh River below White Haven!

Thanks! I’ll try to take you up on that offer once I nail down some dates.

Thanks! I’ll try to take you up on that offer once I nail down some dates.
Sounds good.

Pray for rain too if so inclined. To give you an idea, one gage on the Brodhead is 79 CFS and falling when the mean is about 120 this time of year. That low can play havoc on swinging water temps too. I am not a big fan of the Pohopopo, but that and the Lehigh River may be the only cold water in the region without a serious hike to fish smaller creeks, which are then totally dependent on rain to have any water....

Sounds good.

Pray for rain too if so inclined. To give you an idea, one gage on the Brodhead is 79 CFS and falling when the mean is about 120 this time of year. That low can play havoc on swinging water temps too. I am not a big fan of the Pohopopo, but that and the Lehigh River may be the only cold water in the region without a serious hike to fish smaller creeks, which are then totally dependent on rain to have any water....
you made a incredibly nice offer there. I thoroughly enjoy your posts and our sport needs more nice unselfish Sportsmen like you. this fellow newcomer will never forget it - and will be helped more than you can imagine.

BRAVO to you NW!

Sounds good.

Dear Nymph-wristed,

It's nice in this day and age to see someone exercise caution. The coming week right now looks sunny, warm, and as dry as a popcorn fart here in Harrisburg, so who knows what lies ahead?

It's good to know that there are still people who will exercise caution and warn people today. Way back when in the olden days, I used to call fly shops ahead of a trip and was often told to stay the hell home. They knew I would drop coin on them, but they were still decent enough to tell me to drop the coin another time.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back