Newbie Question

Stimey

Stimey

This will sound ridiculously stupid, but what the hell I'm new to tying…. When I try to use a bead head, I can never seem to get the proper bead size to fit onto my hooks. They tend to be too big to fit around the hook bend, and when I go smaller they fit but to me the bead looks too small for the size fly… but maybe it's just me and that is actually the proper size. But for instance some of the beads I have, have a scale on them saying good for hook sizes 12,14 but they only fit on the 12 (just an example)

Any help would be appreciated.

I hope this helps.

BEAD TO HOOK SIZE:
1/16= Size 20,
5/64= Size 18,
3/32= Size 16,
7/64= Size 14,
1/8= Size 12,
5/32= Size 10 & 8,
7/32= Size 6 & 4,
1/4=#2.

I apologize if I telling you something you already know but you did say you were new. The bead goes on the hook small hole towards the eye.

Oh, and I always pinch my barb down. Not sure if that's getting it your way. My problem isn't getting the bead to fit, my problem is getting the bead onto the point before I'm chasing it across the floor.

I used to have trouble getting breads on hooks as well until I came across a small model builder's clamp. I just get the bead in the clamp jaws and slide it iver the hook. Haven't rolled one since.
Coughlin

Coughlin wrote:
I used to have trouble getting breads on hooks as well until I came across a small model builder's clamp. I just get the bead in the clamp jaws and slide it iver the hook. Haven't rolled one since.
Coughlin

What you don't find crawling across the floor chasing after a rolling bead good exercise? :-D

Coughlin wrote:
I used to have trouble getting breads on hooks

This is a fly fishing forum. Please refrain from discussions about bait fishing. ;)

I follow the sizing recommendations printed on the bead pack but if anything more of my flies may be tied with what might be considered an undersized bead just becaiuse I like the look.

Make sure you are purchasing countersunk beads(one side larger than the other) if you are finding them to be too big. Another option is to start purchasing big eye hooks for your beadheaded ties. I have found that chart provided to be pretty dead on though.

What you don't find crawling across the floor chasing after a rolling bead good exercise?

Great exercise. The problem is I keep getting impaled on the hooks I've dropped.

Great exercise. The problem is I keep getting impaled on the hooks I've dropped.

Hmmm, I hadn't consider that possibilty, I better start wearing gloves.

I find myself needing to wear shoes. And oh boy the noise the vacuum makes when it grabs a hook that is stuck in the carpet!!

Ohhhhhh, is that what that noise and burning smell was? Now I know why my wife was pissed, she must have found it. Hell better in her vacuum than her toe!

Haha its not as funny when you have to go driving all over gods creation to get a new vaccum belt! B19a5g3 pain in the neck, almost as bad as getting a printer cartridge.

some hooks will not take the (proper) sized bead speifically (Sp)a curved nymph hook i always have to go a size down on them another thing to look at is where you got your beads at as different manufactures sizing is different (ex cyclopes and orvis are similar but hairline beads are larger and more spherical in shape

BMarx wrote:
Haha its not as funny when you have to go driving all over gods creation to get a new vaccum belt! B19a5g3 pain in the neck, almost as bad as getting a printer cartridge.

Dude, you seriously need Amazon Prime! I almost never drive unless there's a stream where my car stops!

Back