Newbie help

C

crackshot

I'm looking to get some help starting out fly fishing. Where do I start? I'll fish mainly Jefferson/Clarion counties to start. What's good equipment to start with? Books to read? Necessities? I really have no clue where to start.

Welcome crackshot, there is lots of good information on the forum and can be turned up with a simple search. There is also a beginners forum which is a good place to start. Books I recommend are "Trout and their food" "Dynamic nymphing" and "Fly casting finesse"...there are many others but i would say that would be an excellent start.

In terms of what to use keep it simple and focus on presentation. That is my opinion anyways. Good equipment depends on each person but always try to cast a rod or put your hands on something before you purchase it. If I had to list one necessity it would be the New Zealand strike indicators, I just simply love them as do many others that use them. One more necessity is to find someone who is much better than yourself and watch, listen, take in everything they have to say and do. I didn't have that opportunity but just watching a tip or two from someone on the stream seems to help immensely or just change up your thinking.

Just keep it simple and enjoy the sport! Welcome to the cult :)

Welcome aboard. A basic fly fishing outfit can be purchased from Cabellas or LL Bean,to name a few.
A local Trout unlimited or fly fishing club might be a good place to meet fellow fly fishermen The Jam later this month is also a great place to meet like minded fishermen. Lots of UTube fly fishing videos that show casting techniques and how to fish nymphs ,etc. GG

Welcome. I'd suggest finding the closest Trout Unlimited chapter and go to a meeting.

http://www.patrout.org/chapters

Looks like the Allegheny Mountain chapter which meets in DuBois might be the closest.

I've found Trout Unlimited members to be very helpful to newcomers to fly fishing. Great resource for everything from finding casting instruction, local stream info, and fly tying. They also have interesting monthly meeting topics and in many cases do project to improve local watersheds.

There is no better (and no replacement for) an experienced, GOOD fly fisherman to study under. And I mean study. There is a lot to learn: fishing hardware, flies, insects, techniques and tactics, personal (wading and vests/packs) equipment. So you will want to have an receptive mind and your mentor should have a patient spirit.

Along with many other fine fly fishermen, I was taught a lot by Don Douple. While a bit severe for some people, I drank up everything he had to offer. Yes, fly fishing kind of ruined my life, but hey, I asked for it. Or maybe it didn't. Maybe it saved it.

Such is the effect of what you are entering. It can be as big or small as you want it to be. However, DO be a good caster. Be as good at casting and line management as possible. And have correct equipment. Almost never is there a SINGLE best way to do something, but some ways are definitely better than others. You can have fun and be successful at any number of levels. Wanna just fish dries? Maybe you will save your fly fishing for the major hatches at the high points of the season, like now, and not do it again until next spring. Maybe you only want to swing wet flies during a hatch. Do what you want, but understand it and do it well enough as to not embarrass yourself on the stream.

Welcome to the fold,
Sylvaneous

howdy crackshot!

there is a whole beginners section : http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Beginner-Forum/21,0,0,DESC,f.forum_order,0,0.html

also,there are jams and beginner jams.

welcome to the fun

you might also want to tell us the experience you already have. for example a lot of spin fishers already own waders etc.

a rod of 8 1/2 to nine feet, at 5 weight is a good all around PA rod.
you'll want a simple reel with tapered floating line.

4x and 5 x tippet.

leaders

string nipper

a couple dozen flies.

probably,people here will offer to send you flies.

if you are fishing around jam time,there will be plenty of extra gear.

I'm a spin fisherman now. I have a few buddies that have flyfishing experience. I'm trying to learn about the sport before I dive head first. I've talked to a lot of fly fisherman and tend to get different answers for the same questions. The knowledge here is incredible and I'm excided to be apart of it!

418 Water Street, Warren, PA 16365

http://www.arffco.com/Fly_Fishing/flyshop.html

Going to a fly shop, and/or going on a guided trip can be good to learn or get information on equipment.

Good luck to you hopefully you like it be patient will be tough days along the way keep plugging along only takes one cast.

I'm a spin fisherman now. I have a few buddies that have flyfishing experience. I'm trying to learn about the sport before I dive head first.

I followed the same path. Frankly, dive head first. There's a WHOLE lot to learn.

Don't get me wrong, there's a few skills you have that will translate. Reading water is the main one.

But other than that it's a whole new world and it'll be like you're picking up a fishing rod for the first time. Aside from the mechanics of fishing, you start learning about when and where different things are happening that you never even thought about. It's a fairly steep learning curve, and it may be years before you get back to the same success level you are used to.

So that's why I say dive in. If you take the approach that you're gonna stay a spin fisherman and dabble with the fly rod a bit, well, you aren't going to be very good with the fly rod. You're gonna get frustrated and go right back to the spinning rod. And that will never change until someday you decide to commit to the switch and accept that you're gonna take some lumps in the process.

So why would anyone do this?

1. The ceiling is a lot higher.

2. You never actually reach it.

Those lumps you need to take are the fun part!

When I spin fished, I'd toss live minnies or drift eggs, sometimes work a spinner. Mostly for stocked trout, which are all the same, nomatter where you go. I occasionally fished for wild trout, but still, I was trying to force feed fish to the way I fished. Basically induce a reactive strike. And it often worked. But I wasn't adjusting how I fish to what the fish are doing naturally.

Fly fishing changes all that. You're actually trying to match natural food items. Following hatches and thinking about how different conditions affect things.

You get your arse kicked, double down on figuring it out, and then you do. That's always satisfying. But then things change. That hatch ended, a new one began. Fish now feed in different places, at different times of the day, and you have a new challenge.

And hey, you heard this other stream has so and so hatch that's just awesome. So you go there. And now you're in a strange place that's totally different than anything you fished before. Another challenge.

You get better, meaning you figure things out quicker. At some point, years down the road, you recognize that you're now catching more fish than you did as a spin fisherman, catching fish out of places you'd have not even thought about casting before. But there's still challenges to figure out. You never plateau. Always more to learn, and you're always learning. That's the beauty of the sport. The fun is in getting better and it never ends.

Back