Newbie from South Central PA

P

PatchezMDM

Hello all. New to fly fishing as I've only been out with it a few times over the last three years. The first two years I got frustrated with it early in trout season and gave up. Last year I swore I would only fish with the fly rod. I had a little better success through perseverance more than any appreciable skills. I also caught the tying bugs bug 2 years ago when my step dad and mom started taking classes at their retirement community center. So about 800 bucks in vise, tools and materials and the same in rod, line and gear the madness deepens.

Last year the wife and I went to Florida for 2 weeks and thanks to an internet fishing buddy with all his Florida fly fishing photos I sank into the salt water end of fly fishing as well. Now I'll have to get a kayak for the skinny water of the sounds and bays around Palmetto and Bradenton areas. There is no end to this.

If I can give any advice it would be don't start. If you take those first steps and catch your first fish on a fly, or better still on one you tied, there will be no hope for you. no amount of intervention will snap you out of this addiction. I've made peace with it.

Tight lines,
PatchezMDM

You're right about that. I was swallowed up by fly tying and fishing about 30 years ago.

Welcome to the site! I'm a born and bred central NYer and I currently live a stone's throw from The Great New York State Fairgrounds. I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 11+ years. Speaking of swaps, mine are open to all levels of experienced tyers and I am happy to give additional assistance to anyone who is new to tying and/or fly swaps in general. Swaps are a great way to improve your tying and, BTW, I give a fly-tying gift (or two) to all my swappers. I hope that we cross paths.

Kim

Thanks Goose and Kim.

Kim keep me posted on those swaps. That kind of stuff makes the winter less dreary.

Just put a new swap on the books a couple days ago! Look for my Post Pattern Swap. If you have any questions, feel free to msg me either here or via PM (personal message). Also, feel free to look at my 'Fly Swaps - 101" post in the 'Beginners" section. It tells the 5 basic things you need for a swap.

Kim

Back