newbie fishing lackawanna river/roaring brook

thetonyage

thetonyage

Hey yall im new to the forum and new to flyfishing for trout. I used to flyfish for panfish and the occasional bass as a kid but i gave it up for spin/baitcasting. I currently am using a 5 wt rod and a 3/4 wt galvan ob-2 reel with scientific anglers 4wt line on it. I am in the process of finding a 4wt rod to match my reel, as you may or may not have seen my post in the gear talk forum. I am mainly fishing the lackawanna river between archbald/olyphant area down to where the roaring brook runs into it by southside lanes. Now that you have a lil background info i can start asking questions lol. What fly patterns work best in the area? Ive been practicing, well, recently using, a wooly bugger and a blue wing olive with no sucess as of yet. Where can i find info on local hatches? Like where and when? Are there any local FFing clubs? I have decided to really dedicate myself to the sport and any info or anything would be very much appreciated.

Get a green ninch worm, put a split shot on and hang on. Fish it deep in the runs at the heads of pools. If there's hatches in progress, I can't help with that except to say a small orange crane fly is present in the Lackawanna. They seem to hatch most of the summer.

Tonyage,
Welcome to the PAFF forums.
You're on the right track insofar as gear is concerned. I'm not from the region of the state you're fishing so can't say I know the latest and greatest on what flies to use. I think Chaz's advice is good. At this point in your progression, don't overanalyze bugs and fly patterns too much - stick with tried and true generic patterns like Wooly Buggers, Hare's Ear Nymphs, Pheasant tail nymphs etc. If I were visiting those streams and didn't see any bug or fish activity, I'd start by nymph fishing with basic nymphs like the ones listed and maybe try some junk flies too ("Junk" implies bright colred things like egg flies, or an orange or chartruese colored thing like a "greenweenie.").

Welcome to the forum. I live in the area and fish the Lack and the advice given will do just fine. You can also visit A&G outfitters. They're an Orvis shop and you don't need to make any big purchase for them to give you some info. They are nice people.

The Lackawanna is challenging and diverse. It will offer you multitudes of experiences that you'll be able to use anywhere. Enjoy!

Back