Newbie campground recommendations in SE or NE PA

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie camper? I'm thinking about trying camping this year for the first time (unless Cub Scout camping in a city park 38 years ago counts). I live near Quakertown, and would like to find a site that has reasonable small stream trout fishing and is within a few hour drive. Close enough to drive to late on a Friday afternoon and have time to set up camp before dark. Basically a place to park and pitch a tent with bathroom facilities. I don't mind a hike to the stream, but would like to avoid dragging all of the camping gear a long distance if possible.
Also, any tips you might have for the first time would be appreciated. I have read other threads here and have researched all of the what to bring type suggestions. What might be surprising to someone that has never done this before?
Thanks,
Mike.

Hickory Run is great. Nice "mostly" level sites, nice bathrooms, camp store right in the campgrounds. It gets a little crowded in the summer, but really nice in the spring, early and late fall. Reasonably close to some nice streams. IMO one of the nicer state parks.

Back