New Zealand

gulfgreyhound

gulfgreyhound

I was fortunate enough to get back to New Zealand in February and manage a few trips while there. Like the "Jam" and any other trip that get scheduled your locked into what Mother Nature offers. In this case it was the worst drought in eleven years. Low or no water flows made for tough conditions in creeks that had enough water to be fish able. Add in that February is the height of summer and the clear sky's made for very bright conditions most of the day.
Prior to my trip I contacted Michael Vetters a local guide for a days outing. Michael has fished the Te Anau and Gore areas his entire life and his knowledge made for a great day. He chose the White Stone River which reminded me of Pennsylvania creeks that run through farm country. The exception was the clear water which looked more spring fed due to the clarity. The willow lined stream probably hid more trout than we saw , but those out in feeding lanes made for spot and stalk fishing which was new to me. In one hole there were three trout,two at the lower end an one as long as my arm at the head end lying just off a seam to the right of quick water. I cast to the two trout in the tale of the pool and no takers on the dry and dropper. Michael said to try for the big one . I made a couple of false casts and when I shot the flies toward the seam a shadow crossed the water and the big trout was gone before the flies landed. I guess the bush dry or the line leader connection was enough to send the fish for cover. Nothing to do but move on upstream. Michael continued to spot fish and tell me where to cast. Casting thirty or forty feet a foot off a branch or near a rock made me appreciate having good equipment and even more so a guide with great eyes. He put me on fish but they were reluctant to take a fly.
Fortunately at the end of the day I finally put a hook in a nice fish that Michael was able to get a net under. It was a good way to end a day of the toughest most technical fishing I've ever done GG

Attachments

• Long distances to walk to reach good water made for a long day.The fishable holes were often 200 yar
    Long distances to walk to reach good water made for a long day.The fishable holes were often 200 yar
    90.1 KB · Views: 11
  • More willows that hid large trout which was typical on the Whitestone and were there to prevent more
    More willows that hid large trout which was typical on the Whitestone and were there to prevent more
    89.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Michael scouts for a trout in typical Kiwi style. His experience was valuable in locating fish in th
    Michael scouts for a trout in typical Kiwi style. His experience was valuable in locating fish in th
    91.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Trout might be seen in the shallow water only to move under the willows. This made for tough spot an
    Trout might be seen in the shallow water only to move under the willows. This made for tough spot an
    80.8 KB · Views: 3
  • White Stone River well named for it's granite and  quartz stone bed. This river runs through farmlan
    White Stone River well named for it's granite and quartz stone bed. This river runs through farmlan
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Worn out old guy ,but a trout in hand.jpg
    Worn out old guy ,but a trout in hand.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3
  • Hard work pays off in a wild rainbow. It was in the hole at the right of the picture..jpg
    Hard work pays off in a wild rainbow. It was in the hole at the right of the picture..jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
Urghh. Mother Nature! Looks like a great trip though even with low flows. How's the fishing in Tampa? I'll be there for work next week. Phillies or fishing?

Nice work GG. Hope to get there some day.

Very nice GG, I'm jealous as hell. PS you're not that old.

Millsertime wrote:
Urghh. Mother Nature! Looks like a great trip though even with low flows. How's the fishing in Tampa? I'll be there for work next week. Phillies or fishing?

Both, water temp is close to optimum. Phillies park is good to get to see a game. GG

Thanks Norm, and yes,I am old,but not dead.lol

Lucky that I can visit such a great place. Lucky to have a friend with a house there. Pictures and words won't describe NewZealand. It must be seen to be appreciated. GG

Well done GG! NZ is #2 on my bucket list behind Christmas Island.

Well done Art! Still on my bucket list.

Thank you GG nice work, a destination not visited but, you bring it here for us to drool over.

Nice Art. That's a long plane ride. Nice to see your taking good advantage of your retirement.

Haha Art, you're lucky you're so likeable, or I'd have to hate you. Thanks for sharing man.

Boyer

It may seem that New Zealand is out of reach, but it's not. I see deals all the time on the puter. ie $1075 LA to Hawaii to Auckland,NZ.
Included 2 nites in Hawaii. I have seen fare as low as $800 in their "winter".
With the exchange rate and a little planning a two weeks stay could be done on the cheap.
It is a long plane ride 11 hours , but the reward is worth it.
Retirement is great, but the down side is you gotta be old to go out to pasture. I have some more pics I'll probably post later. GG

After my divorce 10 years ago, I looked at a trip there. Airfare, transportation, lodging, guide and 1 helicopter fly in trip was in excess of 10,000. I think it only included 4 days of fishing. OUCH

Hell, I gotta get to Montanna first

You've just got to fish on your own and stay in accommodations you find on your own...and buy your own food. That's the way to save money. Do a guided trip one day to learn some water and then fish the rest on your own. I was lucky enough to call New Zealand home for 6 months. I spent less than $10,000 living over 6 full months and had plenty of fun while I was there. Unfortunately, I didn't fly fish at the time! I did try it out though, and caught a nice 22" brown not even knowing how to cast properly (thanks to the help of a guide). This keeps me motivated to go back ASAP.

NZ is not easy fishing, but there is a lot of it.

i'm sure you could do a pretty cheap trip if you just rent a car and camp.

its on my bucket list too, but not until i'm in my 60's as its so easy to get to and get around.

while i'm young and fit, i want to steelhead as much as possible.

gulfgreyhound wrote:

In one hole there were three trout, two at the lower end an one as long as my arm at the head end lying just off a seam to the right of quick water.

What is the explanation of the big trout in New Zealand streams?

Are the fish old? Or do they grow unusually fast, and if so, why?

Are they running up from lakes or big rivers downstream?

1) a lot of food and a long feeding season compared to Scotland.
2) very few predators, piscine or otherwise
3) very empty country with a small population.

Troutbert, I'd say less pressure,catch and release, small limits of 1 or 2 fish ,depending on the stream. Genetics, stream forage,or just a combination of factors.
I know when I fished there were a few tracks stream side and we saw one other angler in our area.
Michael, my guide, told me that he could take me to a river that held really big fish, but you'd have to cast into the wind to get a fly to them. So weather plays into the pressure as well.
There are some sea run fish, but they are caught close to the river mouths. GG

Back