New Zealand mud snails in Falling Springs hatchery

G

Grassrod

It’s been confirmed to me over the weekend that the local rod and gun clubs hatchery on a branch of the Falling Springs has tested positive for New Zealand mud snails during the PAFBC testing prior to stalking.

It’s been confirmed to me over the weekend that the local rod and gun clubs hatchery on a branch of the Falling Springs has tested positive for New Zealand mud snails during the PAFBC testing prior to stalking.
Yeah this is true my friend knows someone there and they said there was snails, I’m not sure if they are stocking at all this year. It’s a shame because most of my golden rainbows I catch come from that hatchery 😂 but still less stockies could be a good thing in certain creeks. Do you think the snails will get into the actual falling spring creek or are they already there?

Does anyone know the source of the fish? Its a private hatchery not a coop right?

That’s my main concern and what affect they could have on the already diminished hatches there. There’s a few people already digging into it through TU, but would definitely be happy to hear any other recommendations/possible courses of action at this point. I know a little about their affects, but not by any means well educated.

It’s a coop that I was told through TU that gets them from benner springs

If thats true and those fish are from benner where PFBC’s hatchery out break happened and they spread them to a new water way thats ridiculous. They HAD to stockem they couldn’t just depopulate the hatchery. Stocking> resource.

If thats true and those fish are from benner where PFBC’s hatchery out break happened and they spread them to a new water way thats ridiculous. They HAD to stockem they couldn’t just depopulate the hatchery. Stocking> resource.
In the delayed harvest section they postponed the stocking and changed the hatchery from Huntsdale, and instead stocked browns from Benner Spring would that spread the snails?

In the delayed harvest section they postponed the stocking and changed the hatchery from Huntsdale, and instead stocked browns from Benner Spring would that spread the snails?
If I understand what you’re asking correctly it’s not from the stocking of the delayed harvest section. The rod and gun club hatchery just above it is what recently tested positive. None of those hatchery fish have been stocked yet but my concern is them spreading throughout the system from the hatchery

If the coop does in fact get their fish from benner and now they have mud-snails in their hatchery thats prob how they got there. PFBC did some raceway decontamination knowing they couldn’t guarantee no intestinal snails. They opened a fraction of fish and stocked the rest. The statement I got was no “no guarantee can be made that NZ mudsnails won’t spread with the stocking”.

Priorities

If I understand what you’re asking correctly it’s not from the stocking of the delayed harvest section. The rod and gun club hatchery just above it is what recently tested positive. None of those hatchery fish have been stocked yet but my concern is them spreading throughout the system from the hatchery
No I was referring to what fish sticks said, that Benner had a snail problem. I was saying that the delayed harvest was stocked with fish from Benner springs a few weeks ago so would those fish spread snails?

Wasn't Falling Springs Branch identified as a waterway they were present last year or in 2021?

No I was referring to what fish sticks said, that Benner had a snail problem. I was saying that the delayed harvest was stocked with fish from Benner springs a few weeks ago so would those fish spread snails?
I don’t know what the replication time is if they were stocked a few weeks ago if it would have been enough time for those individual fish to spread or not. I am
Wondering if the coop got their fish from benner before that to raise.

I don’t know what the replication time is if they were stocked a few weeks ago if it would have been enough time for those individual fish to spread or not. I am
Wondering if the coop got their fish from benner before that to raise.
Yes I believe you’re correct on the coop having their fish prior to raise. Was told calls are going to be made tomorrow so I’ll pass on what info I get from them.

Wasn't Falling Springs Branch identified as a waterway they were present last year or in 2021?
If thats the case then its possible those snails came from falling spring but knowing how long spring has had NZ mudsnails and that the coop gets their fish from benner is still suspicious as far as how did they get into falling springs in the first place. I know some in past have blamed anglers and special regs areas that have high traffic which is certainly a risk but the idea that fish can be continually transferred from infected waterways to others without spread is fantastical.

Sadly I can’t answer that for certain but when I reached out I wasn’t told anything about them already existing

If thats the case then its possible those snails came from falling spring but knowing how long spring has had NZ mudsnails and that the coop gets their fish from benner is still suspicious as far as how did they get into falling springs in the first place. I know some in past have blamed anglers and special regs areas that have high traffic which is certainly a risk but the idea that fish can be continually transferred from infected waterways to others without spread is fantastical.
It will be interesting to see if they find them in any other co-ops.

Back