New York Trout Streams

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Does anyone know if there are resources for NY trout waters like we have in PA? Class A or Nat Repro lists? Interactive maps? SGL (or the NY version) maps so one could find streams on public land?

Thanks.

NY State has downloadable Public Fishing Rights maps.

They are organized by region and county.

See: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html

yep thats it. fish western Ny all the time

Just me, but New York has a lot of open waters. The feeder streams that run into Erie and Ontario are pretty much open. As far as the Class A streams the list by county has loads of streams. The best brookie water is the in The Adirondacks. If you want specific locations I might be able to help. GG

It is a little harder to find info on ny trout streams than pa trout streams. I havent found an all encompassing list similar to pa class a b c d or waters that produce natural reproduction. There is some info by county and dec region.

If you want info on a specific region send me a pm I might be able to help. Ml

Yeah I tend to agree, it seems harder to find good streams in NY versus PA. I had a friend that lived in the Syracuse area in the mid 2000's and we hit up a few streams around the finger lakes. The only one I really remember was the Skaneateles Creek. We caught a ton of wild Browns in the fall.

http://maps.wildtroutstreams.com/NY.html
Better "list". GG

FWIW My friend"Moose" and I left Erie 2 years ago and stopped to fish Chautauqua Creek in NY. I met one angler and netted 2 fish for him in about an hour of fishing the same run as he was in. Those 2 steelies were nice fish as I recall. There are 3 access points on Chautauqua then it's walk the bank. No posted signs like Pa.
The license is cheap compared to Pa. GG

I moved from Stroudsburg to Glens Falls, NY about a year ago and made some similar posts here about my struggles with DEC info.

In that year, my feelings have not changed. Compared to PABC, DEC's online info is way less centralized or thorough. It takes me a good bit of poking around to find good info on particular water, and even then the online resources skew heavily towards stocked streams.

It also took me awhile to realize individual counties have stocking programs that are sometimes not clearly publicized or coordinated with the state program in a way that's made public. So even if you are happy to fish for stockies - I often am - online info can be incomplete and confusing.

Thanks, GG, for that map. I had not seen that before - again, a testament to the challenges awaiting the novice NY angler. The info seems to be out there if you put in the work of scouring the internet in conjunction with the legwork of checking out some random blue lines. I'd have to admit the last year has not seen my best effort to do that exploring, what with a new job, new house, little kids, etc.

Complaining aside, the Battenkill is fun!

hooker-of-men wrote:
I moved from Stroudsburg to Glens Falls, NY about a year ago and made some similar posts here about my struggles with DEC info.

In that year, my feelings have not changed. Compared to PABC, DEC's online info is way less centralized or thorough. It takes me a good bit of poking around to find good info on particular water, and even then the online resources skew heavily towards stocked streams.

It also took me awhile to realize individual counties have stocking programs that are sometimes not clearly publicized or coordinated with the state program in a way that's made public. So even if you are happy to fish for stockies - I often am - online info can be incomplete and confusing.

Thanks, GG, for that map. I had not seen that before - again, a testament to the challenges awaiting the novice NY angler. The info seems to be out there if you put in the work of scouring the internet in conjunction with the legwork of checking out some random blue lines. I'd have to admit the last year has not seen my best effort to do that exploring, what with a new job, new house, little kids, etc.

Complaining aside, the Battenkill is fun!

IMO, the PFBC does a great job making fishing info available for anglers.

The county guide and wild trout maps are a great resource as a beginning to explore PA streams and rivers.

I know some on here don't believe making all the info available is a good thing, but I do.

Our license dollars are spent to survey streams, the results of these surveys should not be kept secret.

I know the "locals" don't like the info shared, but I've always wondered where these "locals" get their info when they go exploring in other lo-cals?

FWIW: Hooker, my friend "Moose" had a guy that he hired who came from Kansas. Jim gave him some spots near their work place to get the guy started trout fishing. After a time the guy was giving Moose new spots to fish. Seems he'd just dive around find a crick and fish it. Moose and I fished one of them and I caught Brookes in the 12 to 14 inch range. If you saw it you'd just drive on by. GG

Agree with all of the above. For the most part, in NY the area north of 90 and west of 81 there is very little wild trout fishing. So look at a map find the land north of 90 and west of 81 and put an x through it. This area is all seasonal salmon and steelhead. South of 90 is fair game if you find somewhere that looks good and has decent temps there probably are some trout. Granted you'll do much better in late may than mid august but that's to be expected. East of 81 there are trout streams pretty much everywhere north and south. Dont be afraid to fish places to find out.

Pa makes it much easier to go online and put a plan together to catch trout 12 months out of the year. The information and regulations in NY make it harder to do this, also PA has much more trout water than NY.

To be honest I used to strongly prefer the way pa had everything accessible, now I kind of prefer how NY does things.

Back