New waders

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

I have a love hate relationship with waders, I love to fish and every wader I have ever used has let me down inside 2 years(at best). I just got a pair of the Orvis pros as I've had a couple people who I trust tell me they will last....fingers crossed.

Been there - done that!

Simms...........

I just finished the 3rd year with my Orvis Ultralight Convertibles. For three bills, I tend baby them. ;)

They failed as well, way too soon
I'd still go with Simms (G3s or 4s). I'm not thrilled that they sold out to a big company but as far as durability they seem like the best and they do tend to warranty them. EVERYTHING fails! Nothing is really worth the money you are paying for but just hope they hold up and if not hope they warranty them. Always have a backup pair of some sort too!

Last edited:
I have a love hate relationship with waders, I love to fish and every wader I have ever used has let me down inside 2 years(at best). I just got a pair of the Orvis pros as I've had a couple people who I trust tell me they will last....fingers crossed.
I've been wearing the Orvis Pro's for about 18 months and so far they are 100% solid. Kinda stiff but I can live with that if they stay dry. So far so good.

G3, didn't make it two years.
I had a pair of G3s that didn't make a year. They did warranty them. I have found that the spray they recommend to rejuvinate the Goretex does work very well for stopping small puncture leaks. If you use a product a lot like I'm guessing you do you gotta just count on the warranty. I'd send in those G3s that didn't make it 2 years and see if they warranty them or at least offer to repair or give you a discount. I will not use Simms wading boots anymore. Korkers does a heck of a job with their warranty on their boots and really seem to stand behind their products! Simms with their boots not so much!

Simms warranty is limited to one free repair within a year of purchase.

I know all waders eventually leak.
But Simms Goretex has lasted the longest for me.

Now, if the leak is my fault - rip or puncture - I own up to that.
And will try to repair them myself.
With real Goretex, finding and repairing the leaks usually works out for me - unlike with other materials

I had a pair of G3s that didn't make a year. They did warranty them. I have found that the spray they recommend to rejuvinate the Goretex does work very well for stopping small puncture leaks. If you use a product a lot like I'm guessing you do you gotta just count on the warranty. I'd send in those G3s that didn't make it 2 years and see if they warranty them or at least offer to repair or give you a discount. I will not use Simms wading boots anymore. Korkers does a heck of a job with their warranty on their boots and really seem to stand behind their products! Simms with their boots not so much!
I did, got an email saying they couldn't be repaired to some standard, blah blah....this was a while ago. I've been a korkers guy for a while, best traction hands down. I'm on my 5th or 6th pair of devils canyon, love them.

sure, there are some lemons out there. but its mainly how you treat them/take care of them. stomping through sticker bushes isnt gonna help.

my first pair of simms lasted me 10 years. now im on my second which are the G3s(the newer 2018 model). i bought them in 2018. so going on 4 years without a problem.

and yes i fish...a lot. lol. whatever wader anyone chooses. have fun out there!

sure, there are some lemons out there. but its mainly how you treat them/take care of them. stomping through sticker bushes isnt gonna help.

my first pair of simms lasted me 10 years. now im on my second which are the G3s(the newer 2018 model). i bought them in 2018. so going on 4 years without a problem.

and yes i fish...a lot. lol. whatever wader anyone chooses. have fun out there!
I think my two main issues are body type and the way I wade. I don't go through sticker bushes very often. My waders fail at the seams and in the booties, regardless of brand.

Kyle,

You long legged or have skis for feet? LoL. You can be stressing the seams if they are not long enough or booties are too small. Simms has lots of size variations or can make a pair that match your build. Year 13 complete with my G3's. Bought a new pair on closeout 6-7 years ago and they haven't seen daylight yet. Probably spring of 2023

I had new booties put on a pair about 8 years ago by simms cost like $50.
Did you dry the waders out after each use inside and out? mold will kill waders.

I had new booties put on a pair about 8 years ago by simms cost like $50.
Did you dry the waders out after each use inside and out? mold will kill waders.
Yes, I dry them and store them properly.

Kyle,

You long legged or have skis for feet? LoL. You can be stressing the seams if they are not long enough or booties are too small. Simms has lots of size variations or can make a pair that match your build. Year 13 complete with my G3's. Bought a new pair on closeout 6-7 years ago and they haven't seen daylight yet. Probably spring of 2023
That's amazing, I know you're on the water alot. Well if these Orvis ones fail I will give the simms another shot. And yes my legs are on the long side.

I Have heard good things about Orvis boots lately. I have had every major brand fail and horrible customer service from Simms one time. That said, I am now back to Simms and so far so good. I really like them. Got top of the line. I have also had Patagonia and think they are also decent. Years ago I had some Orvis bootfoot waders that lasted me at least ten years and I fished a lot. They were some type of rubber material. Something changed with the way they make rubber. It used to last.
I am now being super careful around sticks and jaggers and while putting them on along road but I agree it is often seams that kill them.

Last edited:
I bought Patagonia waist highs a few years back.
They're pretty nice.
But started leaking by the end of the 2nd season - in 2 spots on one of the leg seams.
Nothing I did to cause it

Patagonia is supposed to have top notch customer service, and I thought about calling in a claim.
But decided to try patching them first. It worked and they're fine now, after 3 seasons of use
And I'm happy with that.

Any more leaks, and I'll just deal with it myself
Nothing lasts forever.....

That's amazing, I know you're on the water alot. Well if these Orvis ones fail I will give the simms another shot. And yes my legs are on the long side.
I don't wear mine out like a guy trekking deep into the woods might but they have seen plenty of abuse. Rolling under the trailer on gravel, loading/unloading, dragging the boat, chasing maniac dog up and down the river. Got a cigarette burn right on the crotch. It's through more than one layer. Happened 8 years ago and has never leaked. Might just be lucky. I know I'm stressing the seams now with fatness. Waiting to hear threads start popping

Back