new wader boots

T

Tracker

Looking for a new pair of wader boots My old ones were Orvis and may go with them again but looking for others to look at. Recommendations

Big fan of Simms G3s. They have the best arch support (or at least best fit for me) than others I have tried.

I have two pairs, both obtained when on sale. Orvis Clearwater rubber sole boots, currently $179, And Simms G3 Guide Vibram sole boots, currently on sale at $240. No problems with either one. The Simms are about one pound heavier, and I expect they'll take a touch more use abuse than the Orvis over time. The Orvis boots are entering their 4th year, the Simms their 2nd year.

Big fan of Simms G3s. They have the best arch support (or at least best fit for me) than others I have tried.
I will second the G3s for support and durability. I get about 150+ trips out of them before they need some Shoe Goo or a retirement party.

The soles of the last generation of Freestone boots lacked adequate sole depth for spike replacement, but the uppers last forever. I think the newer generation have tried to improve that sole density/depth. I took the spikes out of an 8 year old pair and still wear them in the surf. The uppers look nearly new....

Guess I will just go down to my area shops and try the Orvis and Simms on. I haven’t bought new ones in like 6 years.

Guess I will just go down to my area shops and try the Orvis and Simms on. I haven’t bought new ones in like 6 years.
That's always the best way to buy boots or waders. I tried on many of each before selecting.

i have simms boots now. they make great waders. but i do miss my chotas.when im due for new boots i will go back to them

Looking for a new pair of wader boots My old ones were Orvis and may go with them again but looking for others to look at. Recommendations
What type of systems do you fish? You still hitting up the western Maryland tailwaters?

I'm a Korkers fan. They seem to stand behind their products better than Simms. I will NEVER probably have another pair of Simms boots. My last pair of G3s (style before these new ones) were absolutely terrible and returned 2 times and would not refund me but only give me store credit. Korkers I've been able to warranty my boots a couple of times (I use them extremely hard) and they always seem to treat me right. I'm not a fan of the BOA system though...get the laces!

I like the Simms Flyweight series. I've had both the original flyweight and currently use the Access boot. They are both pretty light, compared to the Simms Freestones I had before. Lightweight is important to me, because I tend to fish all day and move around a lot.

The sole on the Access boot is a softer rubber, and will wear out a little bit quicker than other hard rubber soles, but I've found the rubber soles to be extremely good on slick rocks without studs. Support in the access boots are better than the normal flyweights.

I've used the Access boot now for about 18 months, and while they are getting worn are still performing excellent. I've waded some more difficult rivers like Penns, the Magalloway in Maine, and others with absolutely no issue.

I have orvis Clearwater with aftermarket spikes. They were less than 30 trips in before requiring a recementing on 1, but they haven't failed since. Disappointed yes but I'm used to repairing things by now. Good solid boots otherwise.

What type of systems do you fish? You still hitting up the western Maryland tailwaters?
I fish a hodge poge of places. Most time in my waders are on the Erie tribe chasing steelhead. A few times in Western MD and a few trips on Penns, Spring creek and Little J. Looked at the Simms yesterday ad didn’t really like anything they had to offer. Simms really seemed heavy and the LW models just didn’t fit my wide foot. Actually found of pair of Orvis Encounters on FB supposedly new that I may go look at. Thats what my old ones were and they served me well.

I can't imagine fishing the Savage or north branch with any boot besides a korker with the carbide studs. Penns, spring and the little J are pretty wader friendly so not a big deal there. If we get out on the river again happy to let you try a pair, I have 11s, 12s and 13s in the devils canyon.

I have the old version before they switched to the leather boot, but yes, best boots i have ever worn by a mile

I have seen deals on factory blemished pairs, i believe it was on Madison River Fishing co's website

40% off. local small vendor. i bought my flying rod from them. nice folks.

if ever needed, they can be serviced by danner for sole replacement and repairs since it is a danner collab.

Patagonia foot tractors - https://www.patagonia.com/product/foot-tractor-wading-boots-aluminum-bar/79320.html

you can probably find deals.

I bought a pair last year and probably fished close to 50 days. love these boots.
Those look very nice but not sure I am willing to pay $500 for a wading boot. I am currently running Patagonia waders and they have been ok. The best part about Patagonia is there CS and warranty. They have fixed my waders once and replaced them once.

Back