New vise

Ry,
I have a Griffin Odessey that I have been using for the last year now. It comes with a clamp base and I'm not sure if the ped is avail seperate. I have no complaints about it at all and tie from size #10 to #24 and have yet to have a slip. I really like the rotary option the more I tie the more I use it to see the bottoms of my dry flies, wrap quill bodies, and tie midge patterns. Just my opinion though.

I don't know if it's a vise or not... Just see some flies being held by it in pictures on the internet. Here's a pic of a fly in what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• thumbm_img48d2142bd17b4.jpg
    thumbm_img48d2142bd17b4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, that's an electronics clip.

I always just saw it holding flies, and never knew what it was...

btw, kind of a crazy fly with the double hook. Saw it in Hatches magazine, I believe.

Classic hairwing salmon fly.

I like a fixed vise when setting wings...Even though my vise is a rotary, I still prefer turning fly bodies by hand, and hackle too..I've even gotten away from hackle pliers as of late..If I was spinning out buggers and such, all day long, I'd use the rotary feature..

I have a Regal pedestal which can be adjusted to be a rotary but i don't ever do it , can someone tell me what specific thing a rotary vise enables you to do easier or better other than maybe crank em out faster? If speed is the only plus then i'm not dissapointed but i don't want to miss anything just cause i'm an old fart set in my ways.

Here is one for you to look at. http://www.fly-wheel.net/
It is a rotary vise that rotates 720 degrees. The vise rotates and the stand rotates.

My vise is an HMH and I like that a lot.

i have the griffen mongoose it cam eith both pedistal clamp also it came with a travel case i like it but the lock for the cams sometimes gets in the way actually i think im going to shorten it i never thought of it until now i guess it doesnt get in the way that much overall i like it and have never had a problem with it

I have the Peak Rotary - very solid vise. The standard jaws are good down to size 26 or so, so no need for the midge jaws unless you go super tiny.

I can highly recommend it.

I love my Peak rotary, and definately recommend giving it a look. It's very well machined, solid for the price. I've been using mine for about 2 years now. As has been said you can't go wrong with the Renzetti Traveler either. Pedistal is the way to go.

ry, i ty with a peak vise , i really like it , your not that far from me and if you wanted to try it to help you decide let me know, we could bend a few feathers

Peak rotary here also, very solid vise.

osprey wrote:
I have a Regal pedestal which can be adjusted to be a rotary but i don't ever do it , can someone tell me what specific thing a rotary vise enables you to do easier or better other than maybe crank em out faster? If speed is the only plus then i'm not dissapointed but i don't want to miss anything just cause i'm an old fart set in my ways.

I don't use my rotary to increase speed or anything like that. I tie for pleasure and could care less the amount of time it takes to tie a single fly. I just want them to look their best to me. I rotate mine serveral times during tying to inspect the taper is what I want, the wings are symetrical etc. I'm anal what can I say.
The only time I actually rotate the vise and not the material is when tying quills it's easier to see if the wraps are tight together or not.

I tend tie with my vise at a slight angle due to my chair/desk heighth. Which is another way to solve the buying a new chair.

I love the rotary function to look at all angles of the fly and to make working on it easier..

I could care less about speed, as it takes me like 30mins just to do a basic fly!

LOL

i love my regal pedestal , i like the rotary function just for inspections and makes tieing a little easier

I have a thompson cobra. Awesome little vise and i got it for a decent price on ebay. $200.00 if i remember and I really like it alot, just my 2 cents. looks really cool too

Dyna-King makes an excellent vice. The Kingfisher model is their entry level vice for about $135. I've got a Renzetti Travelers vice and the Dyna-King Trekker vice. Either are excellent choices. The Dyna-King base is a bit bigger and heavier than the Travelers base so that is the vice I now use.

I'll add another vote for the Peak Rotary Vise with the pedestal stand. I have had it for a couple of years and love it. I tie everything from size 24 up to 1/0 and 2/0 saltwater flies with it.

Back