New Trout Study From PFBC ("Check This Out")

JackM

JackM

Staff member
As a test, I decided to migrate one of the threads that was active when the old forum went down. It appears below. It takes a few minutes to do this, so I'm not sure how many I can do. If anyone has a request and doesn't want to do it themselves, let me know.

You may note, I migrated it with the "newest first" option. I'm going to open a thread called Migrating Old Threads, where you can tell me whether I should just leave it alone or any other coments.

Please use this current thread only for adding onto the trout study topic.

snerd
Re: Check this out #9

Here's another quote from the wild trout study:

"This study evaluated wild trout streams selected randomly from all wild trout streams in Pennsylvania. It would be prudent to conduct a future study on the known most popular wild trout fisheries, (e.g. Spring Creek and Penns Creek, Centre County; Fishing Creek in Clinton County) to see if these fisheries may experience higher use rates and higher contributions to the state’s economy than determined from a random survey."

Could Spring Cr, Penns Cr, and Fishing Cr have higher use rates and contribute more to the economy than Lye Run and Nates Run?
Nahhhh!!

Posted on: 2006/9/2 6:11

Chaz
Re: Check this out #8

"Had the surveys on stocked trout streams been carried out over a longer duration as on the wild trout stream surveys, the discrepancy in angler use between stocked and wild trout streams would have been even more pronounced."

I don't know how they can come to that conclusion, by june 1 there are usually no anglers fishing stocked waters. I'd like that explained.

Posted on: 2006/9/1 17:03

CabinAdams
Re: Check this out #7

snerd wrote:
I downloaded the wild trout section of the survey.

Here's a quote from it:

"A total of 7.2% of the respondents claimed that they don’t make any trout angling trips in Pennsylvania per year even though they were being interviewed while fishing on a trout stream."

Uhhhhhh.

I recommend reading the results and conclusions of this study with a good healthy dose of skepticism.

I would have thought the percentage of idiots in PA would be MUCH higher.

Posted on: 2006/9/1 12:15

JackM
Re: Check this out #6

I haven't even read the studies but I'm already quite sure they fail to validate the preconceived notions of the wild trout enthusiasts. Am I right?

Posted on: 2006/9/1 3:33

Gone4Day
Re: Check this out #5

Download the stocked trout study if you dare, but you better put on the chest waders first.
Posted on: 2006/8/31 20:51

VCregular
Visit Website
Re: Check this out #4

Yea! Lets beat that dead horse to a pulp again! Stockie v wilds that is. I have a hard time putting much validity to this report. As Snerd points out.

If you do look at the wild trout pdf - what is the stream surveyed in extreme ne pa? WB? Don't see it on the subsequent list.

Posted on: 2006/8/31 19:36

snerd
Re: Check this out #3

I downloaded the wild trout section of the survey.

Here's a quote from it:

"A total of 7.2% of the respondents claimed that they don’t make any trout angling trips in Pennsylvania per year even though they were being interviewed while fishing on a trout stream."

Uhhhhhh.

I recommend reading the results and conclusions of this study with a good healthy dose of skepticism.

Posted on: 2006/8/31 19:24

Gone4Day
Re: Check this out #2

Very interesting, it will take me a while to digest, but I noticed one factoid. Wild trout bring in $89.39/trip and stocked ones only $30.92/trip. Might be a useful bit of trivia next time the ‘stocking over wild trout’ debate comes up.
Posted on: 2006/8/31 18:13

Chaz
Check this out #1

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/newsreleases/2006/creel.htm

Posted on: 2006/8/31 16:42

Back