New to the Forum

Spego

Spego

Just got added and wanted to say hello to everyone still out here using the forum. In the age of everything Facebook I know a lot of people turned to groups on there and my experience has been rather poor with them.....a lot of keyboard warriors that know everything on there yelling and making fun of each other. Gets sickening after a while. Looked like a good bunch here so I asked to join.

I'm from the Drums area. I fish the Lehigh around White Haven mostly but will hit the Nescopeck some days but have a love/hate relationship with that creek. There's holdovers throughout (just hiked it last week and counted 8 I saw) but tough with the long still runs and mud bottom....and super clear right now.

My uncle got me into fly fishing when I was a kid. I used to go with him to Bowman's Creek near Tunkhannock frequently. When he passed away I put the fly rod down.....kept fishing but focused on running a bass tournament club in my 30's which I later handed off. A recent cancer diagnoses in my 40's got me thinking about my uncle and the days we had tying and fishing the creeks......so I dug out his old vice and started from scratch filling boxes. It gave me something to do during my chemo down time honestly. My health has spun around and I'm getting out there as much as I can these days trying to catch (and release) whatever I can with my box of flies.

Anyway I was just on Hickory Run today I walked down to the river and fished some of the pockets back up until I ran out of time (damn 2nd shift job). I didn't get anything but got exercise and some nice scenery with the fresh snow.

Some of my accomplished catches I'll try and attach pics of here. Recently got out to Erie and landed my first steelhead on a fly rod with a egg imitation I tied. The other a rainbow I caught on the Lehigh in Sept. Got it on a pheasant tail nymph with only a 2lb tippet. I had to fight it a while but took my time getting it back in and swimming again. Would have broke my heart seeing it die.

Anyway that's probably more than you wanted to read.....but just thought I'd do a little intro. If anyone likes having a buddy to fish this area let me know I'm always looking for someone to go fishing with. I really don't know too many fly fishermen.

Attachments

• 71141498_1168263100227817_8303935481423331328_o.jpg
    71141498_1168263100227817_8303935481423331328_o.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 75242128_1224259731294820_6924104558146748416_o.jpg
    75242128_1224259731294820_6924104558146748416_o.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 5
Great story....I'm originally from that area....glad you joined....welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum. Keep an eye on the Location and Stream Reports, and you may see whom is near you to meet up with to fish.

I'm not far from you and fish the river frequently. Haven't fished the nescopeck in a number of years. Black flys and mosquitoes are just way more than I can handle in and around those swampy areas up and down the creek. Caught my first fish in the nescopeck back around 67 when my family had a cabin there. A stick, a piece of string, hook and a caterpillar. I was 8. Our cabin was right across from buffalino's if you watch the new movie the Irishman. I believe I met him when I was a kid playing in the stream on his property.

Anyway pm me if you are interested in hitting the water this spring.

Welcome Spego - glad you can join us.
Yes, we're a friendly crew around here (better than what's out there on much of social media, as you know). We have happy debates and arguments about all sorts of fly fishing stuff here daily. :)

By the way - the "Beginner's Forum" is for folks just beginning in fly fishing (FFing), not beginning as participants on our forum. Not sure if you were confused by this - it seems you're an experienced angler.

Congrats on your recovery and glad to hear that FFing has played a role in getting you healthy.

Are you familiar with Casting for Recovery?

Welcome to a good (and active) group of people.

Thanks guys and I enjoyed reading the replies.

I am not familiar with casting for recovery I need to look that up and check it out.

Sorry for starting the topic in the wrong spot if a mod can move it fell free.

Looking forward to being a part of this community!

Welcome aboard. GG

Welcome to the group Spego .You will enjoy this group, I don't post much here myself but I do like to read everything from the others in here. I fish the Nescopeck Creek a lot, I am usually there at least twice a week from March until October. Like you its a love/ hate relationship with that creek. Maybe I will run into you there sometime.

Welcome to the forum. Good group of folks on here with a wealth of knowledge.

Back