New to the area

F

Flyfishingtaz

I've lived in n.e ohio for around 6 years, but due to family obligations haven't had a chance to explore other areas to fish other then the local stocked areas in early spring. Looking for suggestions in the northwest area of pa., and if you know of any local areas in n.e. ohio around canton (I found a park in canal Fulton last year they stock but too small to make a cast). Hoping to get out n fish every weekend the weather allows this year.

FFTaz,
Welcome to our online fly fishing community - glad to have you join us.

With respect to your question...use the Advanced Search box at the bottom of this page to read threads about FFing locations. You can also search in the Reports forum by county (please just read old threads, don't refresh them).

The "Where to Fly Fish" button on the upper right is also useful.

Frankly, most of northwest PA and Ohio are trout deserts with limited quality cold water fishing opportunities. You've got steelhead of course. I'd suggest you forget about local stocked canals that are too small to fish.

Now for the good news.... The area you're interested in is much better for warm water species. Instead of trout, go explore the many warm water places - especially the Allegheny watershed - for world class smallmouth bass fly fishing.

Things may be frozen now, but it's a good time to drive around and explore for access areas etc.

Good luck!

If you don't mind driving a little, there are some pretty good trout fishing opportunities in Mercer and Lawrence counties in PA. Neshannock and Slippery Rock Creeks are probably about an hour from you. Cool Spring Creek is a little ways north of those in Mercer. If you want to drive farther, Oil Creek and Sugar Creek are in Venango County.
These are just the ones that come to mind. There is a lot of good fly fishing opportunities between Pittsburgh and Erie. Also pick up a copy of Keystone Fly Fishing, lots of good info.
Good Luck and have fun

Thanks allot guys. Appreciate the input

Slippery Rock creek is not named that for nothing!!

Back