New tier needs help

A

austincrawford

I've been looking at this site for the past couple of weeks and just now finally signed up. Heres my problem, I bought a wapsi fly tying kit and its been great but i'm getting low on hooks. I was wondering if there is any site out there that sells wet/dry fly hooks in a bundle with a couple different sizes of each? Our local sports shop has some stuff but it seems pretty expensive for hooks and only sells sizes individually.

Thanks for looking,
Austin

check out allen fly fishing

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/fly-hooks-etc/

or hook assortments

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Lightning-Strike-Fly-Hook-Assortments-P948C269.aspx

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4E41

^ agreed.

austincrawford wrote:
I've been looking at this site for the past couple of weeks and just now finally signed up. Heres my problem, I bought a wapsi fly tying kit and its been great but i'm getting low on hooks. I was wondering if there is any site out there that sells wet/dry fly hooks in a bundle with a couple different sizes of each? Our local sports shop has some stuff but it seems pretty expensive for hooks and only sells sizes individually.

Austin,
Welcome to our online community and to the thrill of fly tying.
Hooks are, after you acquire basic tools like scissors, vise, etc, your biggest continuous expense in fly tying. Hooks are usually sold in packs of 25-100 of the same size/shape. Usually, a starter fly tying kit will have a pack of hooks in different sizes, but these are a bit harder to find in catalogs or stores (as you discovered). Sometimes, if you call or visit a local fly shop and ask nicely, they may be able to put together (or maybe they already offer) a mixed bag of wet/dry fly hooks for the same price. Sometimes you can get such packs of mixed materials as well. Eventually, you will want to think about what kind of flies you expect to tie the most and you will probably want to purchase those sizes in single packs.

I'll second the recommendation of Allen for hooks. Risenfly Co now has some wet/dry fly hooks as well. You can contact both companies thru the Shop Talk forum and see what they can set you up with. They're both supporters of this site and good fellas.

Thanks for the help, im going to do some more research myself before buying anything i just was not sure where to start. I'm going to have to make a list of some sort and see what hooks i use the most and would likely use in the future. I've tied quite a few nymphs/streamers and just now started tying some terrestrials and other drys.

Welcome, Austin, and good luck with this overwhelming task! You made some great choices already by asking for input and generating a list of hooks that will be readily used on your everyday patterns.

I agree with many of the options given here, and be cognizant that as you purchase 100 (versus 25), there are typically discounts. Allen makes effective hooks, and those they sell with barbs are a great price for a strong hook. They offer a discount for 100 of a hook (though you can get different sizes of that model towards the 100), plus free shipping on hooks right now.

On another note, if you can get to a few fly fishing shows in the winter, do so. At times, many retailers are getting rid of certain hook models, and the show can be a great place to increase your personal hook inventory.

Good luck, and continue to take advantage of the knowledge on this forum.

TC

Back