New Tier - First Pattern: TCO Emerald Caddis Pupa

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

Looking for some help/guidance on tying caddis pupa like TCO's. It's a pattern that had proven itself to me time and time again and since I am taking the big plunge into tying this year I thought I might ask for some advice.

I am specifically trying to find out where to find that emerald stuff they use for the body. thats the perfect color green for a lot of the places I go.

I also wanted to know about tying a cezch nymph with that stuff. I saw a guy online tie some beautiful cezch nymphs that used some kind of flat wire weight stuff and when he added the plastic cover the flat wire weight stuff gave the nymph a really great look.

thanks for your help!

-also, if there's anyone around lancaster that wants to show a noob how to tie I'd appreciate it. my hours are all over but it would be cool to swap contact info and watch an experienced person tie.

It may help if you take a picture of the fly (that you purchased) and post it up. Then, maybe, will some of the tiers try to decipher the recipe.

Does the dubbing look like this?

If you called TCO, they'd probably give you all the advise you'd need to tie the fly. Write down the materials list. If you can wait until the Tying Jam, we'll help you with tying it.

duh...LOL...I should have thought of that! Thanks...

one emerald caddis pupa picture coming up!

I think that is the stuff

I want to head up there tomorrow but I wanted to prepare a shopping list if other people have good ideas.

I checked their site out but I have no idea what is what, I have never tied anything before so all of this is like french to me.

Attachments

• emerald pupa.jpg
    emerald pupa.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 3
Tim,

At the tying jam I'll show you how to tie that same pattern with two additional materials I've added to it. I fish that fly all the time.

I fish a very similar fly that I actually learn from a TCO video, it's really marvelous.

If you're participating in the soft hackle swap you'll be getting it.

Tim - TCO sells all of the dubbing colors for their patterns. East Coast dubbing is the name on the packages. It's definitely the stuff Heritage Angler linked to. Take a drive to the shop and they will help you out if needed. I tie and use that pattern and similar ones. Very easy and productive too!

Back