New stuff!

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

If you remember, a while back I posted about a co-worker's older father who is giving me his fly fishing equipment. He's getting to the point where he can't fish anymore, starting to develope dimensia and other health issues, its a sad thing. He gave me my legendary Fenwick rod, as well as my Heddon 310, my 6' Phillipson, and a graphite stick he made.

Today my coworker showed up with more goodies for me. He's down in Florida for the winter, and has realized he'll probably never fish again. Bitter sweet, for sure. I never had the chance to fish with him because of his health, but I feel blessed to be the beneficiary of his generocity.

Today what I received is an old English made Cortland 444 Ltd multiplier reel and a 9' rod that he built. From the looks of the rod, which isn't marked at all, I would guess its graphite. The action, however, is extremely "glass" like. It wiggles the whole day down to the handle, which I like. The thing is, it feels like a 6wt and I don't know of many glass blanks that long that aren't knocking on the 8wt sizes. I'll try to take pictures tonight. I can live w/ graphite with action like this though, and it was hand made by the guy-so the rod will have a special place in my arsenal.

Yup! I love the reel. Its so LOUD! Its a click pawl on crack.

Got an email from the guy who gave it to me. He said he can't remember the line weight, but he says "Probably a 6wt". I find that the old schoolers went w/ 6wt back in the day. The blank was graphite, but it was an early blank as he built the rod about 30 years ago. He doesn't remember the maker of the blank. Pretty cool!

Back