New Stream Techniques

For no particular reason except that it is often said and believed erroneously that if you see a trout, it has seen you. Not true. While it is true that if you can see a trout it can see you, if approached carefully, you can see them before they have seen you. Add to that the fact that you know what it is, but it does not know what you are, even when it does become aware of your proximity.

Check out this fellow's videos.

http://www.underwateroz.com/index.html

Or go to a show or TU meeting where Ozzie is speaking. You learn a lot of interesting things about trout lies. He includes a tutorial on trout vision. I understand a friend of his was an optical expert with NASA.

I fish the structure, and look for the places where I feel the fish will be holding. deep cuts along a tree roots, cut banks, boulders, or a single boulder in mid-stream.

JackM wrote:
For no particular reason except that it is often said and believed erroneously that if you see a trout, it has seen you. Not true. While it is true that if you can see a trout it can see you, if approached carefully, you can see them before they have seen you. Add to that the fact that you know what it is, but it does not know what you are, even when it does become aware of your proximity.
I walked right up behind 2 of the biggest wild trout (different streams) I've ever seen. I'm talking a matter of feet. One was a wild brownie about 18"-20" and the other was a giant native around 16"-17". Both were in the tail of a slow stretch of stream. I didn't catch either. The trick is fishing upstream. I won't fish any other way.

When trout rise 2 feet in front of you, behind you and down or upstream of you during a spinnerfall feeding frenzy, while you, above, flail around throwing cast after cast, you realize that trout sometimes can get so focused on one task that none other can even interest them even if that other task is likewise survival-oriented as well.

Back