New saltwater reel

dennisl

dennisl

I'm wanting to get a new reel to pair with my Scott Sector 9wt for general saltwater fishing in the Northeast. Any recommendations?

Tibor.

Agree with BC. Also Abel or Nautilus. I fish an older Abel Big Game 3N on my 9wt and a 2 on my 8wt. I'd prefer that the 9wt had a 3 or 3S as opposed to the 3N but so far its been great. These aren't large arbor reels so rate of retrieve isn't as quick but it's worked for Snook and Jacks just fine.

Honestly, most appropriately sized reels are fine. I'm sure many Martins or Medalists landed ocean fish. Just keep them clean after they get saltwater on/in them.

Lamson Remix kit with the 2 xtra spools. I’m guessing by your rod that you aren’t too price sensitive, but it’s a good deal and the extra spools would be handy for NE salt stuff. The body is machined in US and maybe the spool is cast somewhere else?

Not a brand guy here.

For Northeast saltwater with a 9WT you can match it to whatever reel matches the rod, fits your budget, and looks appealing to you. Don't overthink this.

Pick something that will hold a 100 yds of 30# backing and that has a disc drag of some sort (reels matching a 9WT all have these now). The fish you're targeting don't make long runs (false albacore are an exception) and the key, as others have pointed out, is to keep your gear clean.

Lamson Remix kit with the 2 xtra spools. I’m guessing by your rod that you aren’t too price sensitive, but it’s a good deal and the extra spools would be handy for NE salt stuff. The body is machined in US and maybe the spool is cast somewhere else?
I definitely splurged on that rod as an upgrade from my Redington Path that I just accidentally smashed in my car door... Definitely looking to go cheaper on the reel.

The Swedish brand Danielsson has a couple options (F3W and L5W) that are incredibly affordable compared to American-made reels and have gotten good reviews.

I've become a fan of 3 tand reels. I like my reels silent, so that's a big part of it. I'm not a saltwater guy but drag is excellent, very little startup inertia on the smaller freshwater versions, I assume the same on their salt rods as thats their bread and butter. Moderately priced.

THe nice thing about Lamson is that their conical drag is the same on all models, if I remember correctly. So, the cheap reels will perform in salt, but they may be a bit heavier (not a bad thing), cast (not fully machined) and need to be thoroughly cleaned after each use in salt (generally a good practice). Lamson Liquid is $150.00. If you upgrade a few years down the road, it will be a good back-up reel.

So I decided to give Danielsson a try. Could only find good reviews on their reels, and for $250 including shipping from Sweden it seemed like a really good deal. If anyone's interested I can keep you updated on how things work out.

So I decided to give Danielsson a try. Could only find good reviews on their reels, and for $250 including shipping from Sweden it seemed like a really good deal. If anyone's interested I can keep you updated on how things work out.
I'm definitely interested. I've always wanted one of their trout-sized reels but have never taken the plunge.

Back