New rod

P

PaulItaliano

Folks,
Looking for some input on a new rod. I am looking to retire my 20-year old Sage DS 580. It's been a good rod but I want something a little lighter 4wt I'm thinking.

This rod will be used for the times when I am unsure if I will be nymphing or dry fly fishing when I leave the house. I have a few rods that are more specialized. I need something that is good at everything knowing it won't be great at any one thing.

This rod will be used on my most fished "local" water; E. W. Brandywine, Tully, French Creek, (you get the idea).

It'll be my most used rod; I've been saving my pennies and the wife gave me the go ahead so I am prepared to spend some $$.

I know everyone will have an opinion so maybe some ideas on what NOT to look at may be helpful too. I will need to pick up and cast every rod before I buy, so if you know where your suggestion is sold please mention it.

Thank You

Helios (or H2) 10 foot 4 weight

FWIW. The Fly Shack in NY has Sage ESN rods on sale for $498.95 (Originally over $800) with free shipping. Purchase a 10', 4wt several months ago and love the action. I like long rods and will fish them on many size streams.

I'd get an 8' (or close) 4wt moderate action. Scott g2 series probably has something close.

I bought a 8.5 4wt Scott Radian this winter, and so far I really like it. I think my use case is pretty similar to the OP.

Cabelas has Sage vxp 490-4 for $285

Look at TFO rods. Great rods, good selection best of all not a ton of money. I have several. I found out a person really does not have to spend a ton of money to get a quality rod.

are you guys throwing a lot of dries on medium size creeks with a 10' rod?

PaulItaliano wrote:

What do you consider medium?

PaulItaliano wrote:

Yes, all but the tiniest of streams.

PaulItaliano wrote:
Folks,
Looking for some input on a new rod. I am looking to retire my 20-year old Sage DS 580. It's been a good rod but I want something a little lighter 4wt I'm thinking.

This rod will be used for the times when I am unsure if I will be nymphing or dry fly fishing when I leave the house. I have a few rods that are more specialized. I need something that is good at everything knowing it won't be great at any one thing.

This rod will be used on my most fished "local" water; E. W. Brandywine, Tully, French Creek, (you get the idea).

It'll be my most used rod; I've been saving my pennies and the wife gave me the go ahead so I am prepared to spend some $$.

I know everyone will have an opinion so maybe some ideas on what NOT to look at may be helpful too. I will need to pick up and cast every rod before I buy, so if you know where your suggestion is sold please mention it.

Thank You

I fish the same streams you mentioned above and find a 10' 4wt ideal as my go-to all-purpose rod for dries, nymphs and streamers.

Cast a few and find one that works well for you. Good luck.

I been looking at 10' 3 wt and 4 wt rods for nymphing. The discounted ESN is probably the older model with the up-loading reel seat. The newer (full price) ones have a down-loading seat that puts the reel back a little further, which is supposed to help the balance for Czech nymphing. The only other I have seen with down-loading seat is the Orvis Recon.

The recon is an uplocking seat.

The new 10' 3 wt Recon appears to have a down-loading reel seat in the picture. It also has a little fighting butt. Link below.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2LCE&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=49052&subcat_id=49053

Since the OP mentioned he will wants a more all-purpose rod, I would recommend the 10-4wt. The 10-3wt is more of a Euro nymphing type rod.

Bopper wrote:

The new 10' 3 wt Recon appears to have a down-loading reel seat in the picture. It also has a little fighting butt. Link below.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2LCE&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=49052&subcat_id=49053

Interesting, the 10 foot 4 weight is uplocking.

10' 4wt Helios.
You could wait for an H2 closeout as I believe the H3 has already passed the development stage.

Back