New Rod

S

skcuf

I am in the process of looking for a new rod and was hoping the wealth of knowledge can flow my way. I started fly fishing last year with a little starter kit that I picked up. It was like a $40 pfleuger kit I picked up to see if fly fishing would peak my interest or not.

It most definitely did peak my interest and I am now looking into getting a better rod. I have some questions of things to look for and how to pick a rod out, however. Most of the fishing I do is on small to medium streams. I do some lake fishing but prefer to fish for trout.

I don't really know too much about the actions of rods, and since I have only ever casted with the one I have, I have nothing to compare against.

I was looking at possibly getting a Sage Vantage rod. Probably the 9' 5 weight 4 piece. I have heard that Sage makes pretty decent rods and this one is what they claim as their entry level rod. Does anyone know if this would be a good buy or not? I am looking for my birthday, which is in November, so I have lots of time to look around and gain experience before then.

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated. I look forward to hearing what responses you guys have :).

Rather than worrying what keyboard fishermen say, go out and try the rods you want. Anything less is a disservice.

Once you've had the pleasure of a few different rods, you'll begin to understand what it is you like, and what you don't like. Then you can focus on marketing to determine what buzz words apply.

Elsewise, you'll get a thread of guys making their well intentioned suggestions, only to end up making a choice that doesn't satisfy you in the long run. This is the voice of one who has, in fact, been there and done that more than once.

All of my rods are either ones I built or are of diferent brands, like gfen said try them out. everyone likes diferent type actions and uses them for diferent types of streams. But if you are compareing 2 graphite rods that are the same lenghth and action, I would look for the one that is lightest and smaller diamiter to be the higher quality one, but than you also have to consider price.

Head over to FFP in state college and cast em all! Those guys are great and will have no problem allowing you to do it.

i have a sage vantage 8' 4wt and i love it but like everyone else said cast before you buy

I was in there a few weeks ago and thought about casting some rods. The problem is, as I said, I have never casted another rod and don't know what to look for. Should I basically just cast and pick the one that feels most natural?

Everything I learned from casting is self taught from watching videos and movies so I would feel a fool going into a store and asking to cast their rods. Stupid pride...

The main reason I didn't cast any of the rods when I was in FFP is because I don't want to feel like I'm wasting any of their time.

skcuf wrote:
I was in there a few weeks ago and thought about casting some rods. The problem is, as I said, I have never casted another rod and don't know what to look for. Should I basically just cast and pick the one that feels most natural?

The main reason I didn't cast any of the rods when I was in FFP is because I don't want to feel like I'm wasting any of their time.

You pick the one that does what you want it to do. Don't worry abotu what to look for, worry about what feels like its doing what you want to do, which isn't neccessary distance competition casting.

As to wasting their time, if you're buying a rod from them (or at least giving them a chance to vie for yoru dollar), then you're not wasting time. If you're just using htem to fondle gear you'll run off to the Internet to buy from someone for $10 less, you're being a jerk and wasting their time.

You pick the one that does what you want it to do. Don't worry abotu what to look for, worry about what feels like its doing what you want to do, which isn't neccessary distance competition casting.

As to wasting their time, if you're buying a rod from them (or at least giving them a chance to vie for yoru dollar), then you're not wasting time. If you're just using htem to fondle gear you'll run off to the Internet to buy from someone for $10 less, you're being a jerk and wasting their time.

He said fondle hehehe...Anyways, I will be up at my apartment in State College this weekend so maybe I will go over and test the stuff out. The only bad thing that can come of it is having a tough time going back to my current rod lol

skcuf wrote:

Everything I learned from casting is self taught from watching videos and movies so I would feel a fool going into a store and asking to cast their rods. Stupid pride...

I've been flyfishing for 43 years (started age 15) and never had a lesson in casting, flytying or anything related. You already have some experience, you'll know if it feels beter and is a better rod for the purpose you are going to use it for. When I buy something I always know what I want and never let the sales people sell me what they want to get rid of.

buffalo7 wrote:
When I buy something I always know what I want and never let the sales people sell me what they want to get rid of.

Wisdom.

Do yourself a favour, and listen to it. Lots of us didn't, and lots of us wasted money.

It took me several rods to figure out that I like slower (med.) action sticks. Now I wouldn't think of buying one without casting it first.

gfen wrote:
Rather than worrying what keyboard fishermen say, go out and try the rods you want. Anything less is a disservice.

Once you've had the pleasure of a few different rods, you'll begin to understand what it is you like, and what you don't like. Then you can focus on marketing to determine what buzz words apply.

Elsewise, you'll get a thread of guys making their well intentioned suggestions, only to end up making a choice that doesn't satisfy you in the long run. This is the voice of one who has, in fact, been there and done that more than once.

Solid advice. I hate fast tapers, but in the 80's I succumbed to "faster is better". Bought a Sage rod that I ended up trading. What fits you best is the best rod for you.

I've had the same troubles as the others I have 6 slow and med action rods and it only took sage to covert me to the dark side TCX on the way. Play with as many rods as possible!

RowJimmy wrote:
I've had the same troubles as the others I have 6 slow and med action rods and it only took sage to covert me to the dark side TCX on the way. Play with as many rods as possible!

You may give them to me. I can give them happy homes.

No thanks.

I will trade you a broom stick for each one. I will paint the broomsticks metalflake green and utilize a gold metallic pen to write SAGE BSK on the side with a number reflecting the weight (XXX) and length (about 6'). This will make these rods highly desirious. If needed, I will wrap cork tape around them to create handles. They will be indistingushable from your other TCX rods.

I will trade these on a 1:1 basis for your slow and medium action rods. I will allow you to write "gfen is a tool" on the side of each rod with my gold metallic pen. This gives you the pleasure of knowing you got one over on me. Thus, I will have lost the argument. You win the internet! Let's do it!

To remain on subject, dearest OP, you should realize that sometimes rods are also well tuned to do specific things better than others. This is another reason you should try them, at the very least, in the grass rather than just rely on people to say what they like. Mr Jimmy and I are at loggerheads on this issue, which is why we will be making the exchange I have suggested.

Also of note, I have always wanted to use the term "at loggerheads." This is not germane to the discussion (another phrase I like to use), but I wanted to point it out anyways.

Enjoy your search. Spending money is far more pleasing than it has any right to be. Take your time. Consider waiting until the annual fly fishing show where you can buy close out models or oogle shiny new toys, as well, since you're hanging 'til November anyways.

You generally can't go wrong with any of the higher end rod manufacturers entry level rods. That goes for Scott, Sage, Orvis etc. I tend to lean toward scott & sage because they have been great to me over the years. All have great warranties but Orivs has to propbably be the easiest. Break there rod and return to a Orvis factory store and they will generally replace it no questions asked. No charge or anything. Scott and Sage use to have no charge other than shipping for repairs, Now most charge around 40-50 per repair. If I was prone to breaking rods I'd probably o with a orvis. In my case I have broken two rods in 20 years.

If you are going to go to ffp, you midaswell try TCO as well before making your decision. Additionally, you might run into Mr Daniels who might give you a couple tips.

Experienced people on this board sometime forget what its like starting out and not being exactly clear on what you should look for or how a rod should feel. After casting one rod for a long time, some rods might feel better just because of the change of pace and its something new.

common sense says cast them, and you will get this advice at the shop, but asking questions like these and doing a little reading of what others like about their rods and what they looked for will help you at this stage of your development. For instance, the experience of the fellow who thought he wanted a fast rod only to find he really preferred med/fast. This might open your mind to different actions.

Don't underestimate the opinions of salespeople (who fish). I actually got good advice from a fellow at FFP (State college) when i bought my last rod- he made comments about what I looked more natural casting after I was finished. I held my preferences to myself and guess what? his recommendations matched mine rank of the rods perfectly.
The best thing to do is find someone with that rod and ask them to allow you to fish it for an hour. A rod never fishes the same on the lawn as it does on the water.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
The best thing to do is find someone with that rod and ask them to allow you to fish it for an hour. A rod never fishes the same on the lawn as it does on the water.

Damn straight and EXCELLENT point. There are a ton of guys around here that are willing to fish with others. Switch rods. Try things out. Don't break a $800 rod when you are borrowing a friends. LOL.

Back