New Rod Warranty Card

S

Skook

Good evening,

I'm curious to find out what most folks do when they purchase a new rod (or reel) as far as registering it for the manufacturer's warranty. The most logical answer would seem to be that you should fill out the warranty card (or complete an online version) and register the rod soon after purchase. However, it's not uncommon to see used rods for sale where the seller will mention that it comes with a blank warranty card, and some of these rods are not the latest and greatest models from a manufacturer. In that case, does a blank warranty card add any value?

The implication seems to be that the purchaser of the used rod can register the warranty in their name. I'm not sure a manufacturer would honor the "new" registration of a rod that is a few years old, even if it hasn't been registered previously.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Id imagine most warranties require a receipt that will be dated. If it's more than a few months you might have trouble.

A number of rod company’s warranty policies, including Sage, Winston and Orvis, state that their warranty applies only to the original purchaser, purchased from an authorized dealer, or a variation of that requirement. So, if you buy a rod from one of those companies from the original buyer, or a second owner, for example, the rod would not technically be covered under warranty, regardless of whether it had been registered or not.

Also, you are able to register fly rods online for some rod companies, like Sage, so whether you have a blank warranty card or not is irrelevant.

I don’t know how well each company actually enforces their warranty policies, however, and if you have any questions regarding a specific rod manufacturer, I would call them directly. Also, keep in mind that rod companies change ownership from time to time and the new owners may have a different warranty policy than the prior owner.

If you’re interested in a side story regarding rod company warranties, look up on the internet how Costco, who is not an authorized Winston dealer, acquired and sold at a significant discount about 150 new Winston Air2 fly rods recently, and the warranty coverage on those rods.

Last edited:
With the cost of getting a rod warranty "honored" versus just getting something repaired, I'd keep the card in the hopes you can get an extra few bucks in the resale market...

IMHO - Unless you are one of the people who deliberately break a rod to get a "latest & greatest" replacement, rod warranties are a useless sales gimmick...

Thanks for the replies. I recently purchased a Fenwick Aetos from Sierra for $100 that I plan to give to my son as a Christmas gift. I've been wondering whether I should complete the registration or have him do it a few months from now.

I also recently grabbed a Hardy Ultralite NSX from Sierra for $400 (55% discount off retail price) because I was looking for a new four-piece 5wt to take on a trip I want to make in a couple years. I can use the rod, but I really don't need it between now and then, so I was wondering if I should register the rod now or sock it away and make sure I'm able to travel in a couple years.

My intent isn't to figure out a scheme to "get one over" on any rod company.

Thanks for the replies. I recently purchased a Fenwick Aetos from Sierra for $100 that I plan to give to my son as a Christmas gift. I've been wondering whether I should complete the registration or have him do it a few months from now.

I also recently grabbed a Hardy Ultralite NSX from Sierra for $400 (55% discount off retail price) because I was looking for a new four-piece 5wt to take on a trip I want to make in a couple years. I can use the rod, but I really don't need it between now and then, so I was wondering if I should register the rod now or sock it away and make sure I'm able to travel in a couple years.

My intent isn't to figure out a scheme to "get one over" on any rod company.
Your Hardy rod is warranted for lifetime to the original owner so why not register it now.
I have found Hardy to be quite generous with their warranty. See my post in gear talk from about a month ago.

I recently purchased a Fenwick Aetos from Sierra for $100 that I plan to give to my son
Dude, it's a $100 rod, if it breaks just junk it. What Hardy did you get? I am a fan of their current NSX rods. I have owned the SR 3wt 7ft, UL LL 10'2" 2wt, UL LL 9'2" 4wt, and NSX 6wt 9'6".

FWIW - I can't speak about Fenwick or Hardy's warranty program but I own more than a few older Winston rods WITH the warranty.

If I have a Winston warranty claim, (which is doubtful because manufacturer defects which are the only thing covered, usually appear within a year), it costs me between $75 - $150 depending on the age of the rod, IF it can be repaired...

If I have a non warranty claim it costs me $175.

...PLUS inbound freight.

Somehow I figure if I didn't register those rods and still had the blank warranty cards I could easily sell them for $25 more... ;)

Bottom line, if you keep a rod longer than a year all the extra money you forked over for a warranty is a colossal waste of money.

BTW - When I bought the Winston rods the cost of a warranty repair was $0.00 so you can see why I feel the way I do about rod warranties... ;)

Dude, it's a $100 rod, if it breaks just junk it. What Hardy did you get? I am a fan of their current NSX rods. I have owned the SR 3wt 7ft, UL LL 10'2" 2wt, UL LL 9'2" 4wt, and NSX 6wt 9'6".
My son is just starting out on his own. $100 is two tanks of gas or 20 beers at a bar...lol.

The Hardy rod is a 9' 5wt Ultralite NSX. It's being discontinued and replaced with a new model. As of last night, it was still available on Sierra's website for $400, along with a few other lengths/weights.

Last edited:
BTW - When I bought the Winston rods the cost of a warranty repair was $0.00 so you can see why I feel the way I do about rod warranties... ;)
I hear you. I think those old, favorable warranty terms went the way of the dinosaur at least partially because of unscrupulous buyers and scammers. As you mentioned in your earlier post, I'm sure some people took unfair advantage of lifetime, no-fault warranties as a means to upgrade their gear.

Pretty much the same thing happened with other retailers such as LL Bean and Cabela's as well. Years ago, I remember receiving a notice from LL Bean that their "no questions asked" warranty was being discontinued because of scammers. IIRC, the notice claimed LL Bean had lost countless millions of dollars over the years because of their generous warranty terms, which, of course, is ultimately paid for by honest customers. People would pay pennies on the dollar for worn out LL Bean items at places like yard sales and then send them in for new replacement items under warranty.

Last edited:
Back