New Rod Suggestions

Thanks for the input everyone. I had heard good things about the TFO bvk rods however I'm one of those guys who would rather buy something made in the USA. I haven't had the chance to cast the VXP yet but I did play with the old XP model in equivalent size etc. Compared to a TFO rod I tried and the Sage flight it felt way better and seemed effortless to make the casts I make.

The Sage XP has been a great rod from what I've read / heard. The VXP seems to be their new version with some improvements etc.

Now I think I just need to figure out 5 weight or 6 weight.....My primary water is the LJR and I do it all there from fishing hatches, streamers etc

Thanks again, more input welcome!

Here's the link to the 5 weight comparison done by Yellowstone Angler. Take if for what it's worth. Below, I've copied / pasted the warranty info. Thought that was interesting.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp

Every manufacturer offers a “Lifetime Warranty”, but this applies only to the original owner. In almost every instance, the manufacturer charges a handling fee, and you also need to know that it will cost you a minimum of $10-15 to send the rod in to the manufacturer, or have your local shop ship the rod, in addition to that handling fee. In most instances your rod will be repaired, not replaced but this varies from one manufacturer to another.

Hardy – Lifetime warranty to original owner. $25 handling fee plus 10% retail cost of rod. Shipping is from their US warehouse, normally about 10 days.

G. Loomis – Lifetime warranty to original owner. You send in rod and their warranty dept examines rod. If rod broke because of a defect, replacement is free. No handling fee. If from neglect, charges can be well over $100. One time Expeditor service, no questions asked - $100. Gets you a new rod in 3-5 days. NRX owners get a one time Wild Card that gives them a free replacement, 3-5 days. After that, if NRX break is deemed a defect, replacement is free. From neglect charges will vary but over $150. Defect claims usually take 1-2 weeks.

Orvis - 25 year warranty to original owner. $30 handling fee. Rod is repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Redington – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $30 handling fee. Rod is replaced with a new rod. Usually takes 2 weeks.

R.L. Winston – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Older rods not under warranty cost $120 or more. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Sage – Lifetime warranty to original owner. $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Scott – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $45 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

St. Croix – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Thomas & Thomas – Lifetime warranty to original owner, $50 handling fee. Rods are repaired, not replaced. Usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) - Lifetime warranty to original owner. $25 handling fee. Rods are replaced with a new rod. Usually takes 1 week.

Thanks Krayfish! What a review that is....wow.

Like I said, take it for what its worth. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. It seems like many of the rods are specific use even though the company will market as an all purpose rod. Buy a tcx, you better throw bombs b/c it's not very fun to fish with casts under 50'. Last week, I cast a guy's Scott G2. Loved it. That tells me I prefer a med/fast or a fast rod with a softer tip. At $740, not running out to buy one. Of the rbods you've mentioned, I'd say the bvk might be the best option. Better warranty for sure. The Scott A4 also looks good. I'm a sage fan but the z-axis is the last one that I really liked. If you can find one, not a bad choice but more $$ for sure. Take your time, cast what you can and don't second guess your selection. Good luck.

I'd go with a 9 or 10 foot 6 weight for big water. I have a 9 ft. 6 Loomis IMX that's great for big water, especially when it's windy. It also doubles as a bass rod for LMB and SMB. I use it for steelies too.

Back