New Rod Shopping $200-250 Range

W

wrestlecoach

I'm in the market for a new rod. Decided on a 9' 5 wt. Fish mostly Penns, Spring, Fishing and Big Pine Creeks. Mostly drys, wets, nymphs, very seldom streamers. Was looking at Orvis Clearwater but I am open to suggestions.

I have been using a St. Croix 8' 6 wt for the past 18 years so I figure I'm due for new technology!

http://www.maxcatchfishing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71_102_145&product_id=162

Just bought this from an unknown company for me and it definitely paid off! Amazing rod for the prize. A steal for $150

I love my Loomis GL3, which was in that price range, and is still my workhorse. But they don't make it anymore.

I also love the St. Croix Imperial in that price range.

Neither are new by any stretch. Heck, maybe your st. Croix was an imperial! If so, it's still a great rod.

But rods are personnel things. What I like, someone else may hate, and vice versa.

I'd suggest looking into something from TFO. They make affordable rods that are pretty amazing. I've fished a BVK for quite awhile and have nothing but good things to say about it.

The Orvis Clearwater in a 9ft 5wt is great rod. I have bought two as gifts for family members after I used one a couple days just to try it out. It's a very smooth casting rod and true to weight (you won't feel the need to overline it like the BVK)

It's really the gem of the Clearwater line of rods IMO. The 10ft 4wt is also very nice.

Also, their customer service is awesome and their warranty is hard to beat.

I'd suggest find out what rods just got discontinued in the last year and see who is trying to unload one. You can get 800$ rods for 250$ after they are discontinued.

How far are you from the Cabela's in Hamburg or Bass Pro in Harrisburg? You could feel quite a few different rods at either place. I think the Redington CT would be a great fit for what you're describing. A 9' 5wt CT would do well with dries, wets, nymphs on the streams you've mentioned. I just found a 9' 5wt CT on the big auction site for $120 shipped. Many equate this rod to Sage's famed LL. Good luck with your coaching of the finest sport and fishing too!

I have a 9' 5W Clearwater, so it gets my vote.

I fish it on lager streams and its my go to warm water rod. It does everything I need it to do.

Look for a used Orvis Recon. They are often for sale for 250ish

rave reviews of the redington vice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMltHqvqPTI&t=1s

Didn't pull the trigger yet. Used a friends Clearwater on Sunday and I didn't like it. Maybe a case of old dog/new tricks? Used the same bow for 12 years and when I got a new one because of a split limb I didn't like it. 10 years later I love my "new" bow!

Back