New Rod question

M

MrV

Had a tough day on the water. Went to the Little Lehigh by the fish hatchery for the first time (just started FF last year). While setting up my gear, my rod snapped. Did this while guys were hauling out huge trout right past me. Rod snapped 3-4 eyelets down from the end. It was a cheap wind river set up from Cabelas'.

Fished a little right by the parking lot (did not want to bother the bait fishermen up stream). It was tangle city.

So now I am in need of a new rod. Any recommendations? I saw online Orvis has a Streamline Outfit for $225 (rod and reel combo). Does this make sense (I am essentially still a beginner).

Live and work near the LL so I am hoping to fish there this year. Also have a cabin on the Yellow Breaches. These are the two areas I plan to fish the most.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks.

I am assuming that your current reel and line are still serviceable. Given that, I would recommend spending the $225 on just a rod. I recommend a second-hand rod. For $225 you could buy a lifetime rod from the second-hand market (ebay or other).

MrV, PM sent

I'd recommend the redington classic trout I have it and I love it but I'm no expert just my opinion and it's only 150 dollars

There have been some really nice rods available on the Swap forum lately.
There are also some goods rods to be had from some of the sponsors of these boards, Allen and Risen Fly to name a few.

You do know that your rod has a 1 year warranty, and obviously it broke while fighting a fish.

Take it back to cabelas for an exchange. Last time I took one back they didn't even open up the rod tube and look at it. They really stand behind their products no questions asked. If I were you I would get a credit and get a reddington rod or at least a cabelas 3 forks.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I will try to stop by Cabelas first to see what I can get them to do for me. The rod is over the 1 year warrenty period, but definitely less than 2.

Thanks again everyone. I went back to Cabelas yesterday and I was able to exchange the rod, for a new one. No questions asked. I got the same exact set up. They definitely stand behind their products.

Back