new rod builds?

bikerfish

bikerfish

ok, so the big election is over, winter is fast approaching.time to get to more important issues!! just wondering what projects you rod builders are going to be doing this winter?
I've got a mess of blanks, both old and new, to build up. hopefully I can get to all of them. I'm doing one boo restoration and a bunch of new/old glass builds.
oh yeah, a graphite spinning rod as a gift.
so what are you folks building?

- 6' Banty from the top and mid of an old H-I cane rod.

- 9' 7wt or 5wt Mudhole MHX

- Something fiberglass in around 7-8' 5wt. Maybe TJ's Bear Den's blank.

Also any good deals that come along. Might do one or two builds for someone else. We'll see.

Kev

P.s. I need some cheap cap and ring hardware for the banty. So any leads are appreciated.

Planning on getting back into rod building after one successful attempt... I'd like to do a dan craft FT 4wt, and one of those tiger eye blanks that was posted before. Stretch goals are a 10' 3 or 4wt and a 13' float rod.

I find myself confusingly enticed by the thought of the Dorber 10' 1wt.. I'm sure I won't bother, but I'm definatly thinking about it.

There's also a Dan Craft 0wt...

I have seven rods on order but the two I'm most excited about are a pair of 9' 7wts built on CTS Affinity X blanks with a custom paint job. Of course, I'm still waiting on the blanks and with CTS I might still be talking about them next year when this thread topic comes up.

matt

i go back and forth on the dorber 10' 1wt. I got the 10' 3wt and based on its action, I built it up as a small stream centerpin rod. It has handled some big fish in small places, too. I don't think the rods are fast enough for decent roll casting and too much tip bounce for what i'd like in an indicator rod. made a great pin rod. still something makes me want the 10' 1wt as an indicator rod, but would probably go with the 2wt and fish a 1wt line on it, which woud still be a sloooow rod.

I've got a bamboo fixer upper and a few spin rods for other people. Been watching the net for a sage or T&T 9' 3wt blank for cheap, but thats probably never going to happen.

So, I want to build my first rod.... I'd really like a nice slow 6'5''-7' 3wt.

Where do I start as I have no rod building knowledge? Do I need a lathe-thingy?

A 7'6" bamboo 4wt. 2 pc blank is a "great pretender series" from JK'S Angler's Roost - has a Payne 100 taper. Gunsmoke/black guides & handle w/walnut insert. Haven't decided on the wrap color yet, maybe clear silk, maybe black.

So, I want to build my first rod.... I'd really like a nice slow 6'5''-7' 3wt.

Where do I start as I have no rod building knowledge? Do I need a lathe-thingy?

No, you don't need a lathe. But you'll need to ream out the cork to fit the blank. To do that, you can first carefully enlarge it with an electric drill - and then use a round rasp to get it to the exact size. When you use the drill, don't go all the way thru the cork from one end to the other, rather go 1/2 way from each end.

You can buy complete kits with the blank and all the components, or first buy a blank and then the components separately.

Before you do anything, first do lots of searches on "fly rod building", "fly rod kits" and "fly rod components" to see how its done, and then decide what you want to do.

I bought a 3m blank (one of the first graphite to be made) from the early 70's 8 1/2 6wt. might make a bass rod out of it. Also looking at some Phillipson blanks in glass.

...you can first carefully enlarge it with an electric drill...

Good way to ruin $20+ worth of cork if you're new to rod building. If it's your first time around you are much better off using just the round files or buying a cork reamer from your component supplier. It pays to go slow with cork grips. Enlarging the bore too much or causing it to be off-center are problems that are a huge headache to correct. You will be better off spending the half hour or so to get it fitted perfectly than screwing it up and trying fix or hide your error.

Again, if it is your first rod, leave the power tools alone.

Kev

Getting in a fresh 8' Payne 102 taper from Tim Zietak. Haven't figured out the hardware i'll put on it yet, but can't wait to have this rod ready for spring.

I have to get up to Jim Downes for a rod class sometime. Been building rods up for a while now but would love to actually make the blank too.

hey jay 10' 4wts and 5wts are hard to find in a 4 piece blank , really don't want a 2pc rainshadow but i would like to build one

PennKev wrote:
...you can first carefully enlarge it with an electric drill...

Good way to ruin $20+ worth of cork if you're new to rod building. If it's your first time around you are much better off using just the round files or buying a cork reamer from your component supplier. It pays to go slow with cork grips. Enlarging the bore too much or causing it to be off-center are problems that are a huge headache to correct. You will be better off spending the half hour or so to get it fitted perfectly than screwing it up and trying fix or hide your error.

Kev

Good advice IMO, especially the part about taking your time. I hurried the process, and ended up splitting the cork.

-9ft matrix 6wt
-10'6 6wt fly rod on st. croix noodle rod blank
- tiger eye 9ft 7wt.
and a 8ft 3wt. for my dad.

Yes, after posting that I wondered if I should have. I do it very carefully with a vertical drill stand and the handle centered correcly under it. Using incremental bits to progressively enlarge the hole makes it easy, but I probably should not have suggested a drill, knowing some people might try just holding it in one hand and the cork in another.

Don't use a power tool if you can't ensure it is both centered and aligned correctly and no matter what tool you are using, go slow and carefull. Thanks for the correction, all !

doing my first now.
9' 2pc, 5wt st.croix. i'm afraid i may enjoy this. i like panfish fishing. i may do a super short 3 or 4 wt for the tiny trout creek around here.

I've been sitting on a Rainshadow 13' float rod blank. Hopefully I'll get it built soon and break it in on some Salmon River steelies.

I usually build a fly rod or two every winter. Most of the time, it's to replace one I've broken or as a gift to a friend. 2010 has been a rare year: I didn't bust a fly rod (knocking on wood for the steel jam). I tend to be tougher on salt gear and have busted several 10WTs over the last few years. Usually I'll recycle the guides and reel seat; order new blank, cork, and tip top and rebuild.

Last year I built a 10.8" switch rod but I don't have any rod building projects this year other than replacing a couple very old cork grips.

Back