New Rod and Reel

K

Kill3ducks1deer

Well I got some money to waste and want to waste it on a new rod and reel. I have a #3 that's 6'6'', a #4 that's an 8 footer, and a #7 weight that's 9'6''. I was thinking about getting a 5 or 6 weight but I don't know what one I should go with. I was leaning towards a 9 foot 6 weight for the yough and other medium to large creek, I would also be able to use it as a back up for Erie.

I was thinking about a Allen ATS rod and Trout reel, or should I save some more money and get the Xa?

Save a bit more, and get the Myth.

I broke my Allen Myth 10' 4wt a few weeks ago, and Justin told me they weren't coming in for a couple of weeks. He immediately sent me a new 10' 4wt Xa to hold me over though.

As nice as the Xa is, it isn't as nice as the Myth. The Myth is amazing - much lighter than the Xa (not that the Xa is heavy).

When I contacted Allen about the rod break, I got THREE replies within 2 hours. Great service!

The new section for my rod arrived today. It's a perfect fit and match.

Kill3ducks1deer wrote:
Well I got some money to waste and want to waste it on a new rod and reel. I have a #3 that's 6'6'', a #4 that's an 8 footer, and a #7 weight that's 9'6''. I was thinking about getting a 5 or 6 weight but I don't know what one I should go with. I was leaning towards a 9 foot 6 weight for the yough and other medium to large creek, I would also be able to use it as a back up for Erie.

I was thinking about a Allen ATS rod and Trout reel, or should I save some more money and get the Xa?
I will never give up my little 7.5 foot 4 wt for smaller streams but the best purchase I have ever made for medium to larger creeks is a 5 wt switch rod that is 11 foot long. I caught 4 smallies two days ago swinging some #4 muddlers across the creek. You need only about 8 ft of back cast room to do a 75 foot cast and a two handed rod is much easier on your shoulders, wrist, and elbow. If ya live up in nw pa let me know ya can see what a eleven foot 5 wt will do. If you are looking strictly for a trout rod get a 4 wt switch or a bulah 5 wt switch. I do double duty with mine. It will cast all of a 90 foot wt forward 6 wt dry fly line.

I dont believe I am ready to get a switch rod, I dont fish bigger creek to often so I dont see a point in dropping at least and extra 200 for it. I will at some point get one, but I think I want to stick with 1 handed rods for now.

5wt,9ft,fast action,IMO. GG

Back