New River Gorge WV

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Thinking about planning a trip here next summer. Anyone ever been?

Wade or float? I prefer wade fishing but I'm not opposed to floating it. Looks like a great destination place for smallies.

Sal,

You should checkout WVangler.com website. There's a warmwater section and several posts on New River success for smallies. You could sign up and ask for assistance, WV angler will be accommodating.

Lived in WV for 5 years but did not take advantage of fishing the New.

It's probably the best river in the mid Atlantic region for trophy class fish. If you're after a genuine 20+ inch river smallie in the four pound class, this is the place to hook into fish of this size.

Interestingly, the river is inaptly named. . . the New River is among the oldest rivers in the world.

A guided float trip would likely be the best bet for a first time angler, however, there are access areas and wade fishing is popular (not sure what gage height/CFS to look for). You can get in below Bluestone lake at the tailrace, although I've never fished that spot. The gorge section is really better for white water rafting, I'm not sure if many fishermen float that section although I know that wade fishermen do well there. It's a rugged and remote area.
Good luck with your trip if you go - let us know how you made out.

For a first time person, I would try to do a float trip and some wading to get to know the area. Depending on the water levels it could be rough water even for an experienced person floating it. If you want company let us know. We would maybe make a trip down too. Do not be afraid to email any of the fishing shops also if you want to float it. They will give you tons of info.

I think one of the rafting companies actually does float fishing trips in the gorge. if I remember the company, I will send it to you.

I live in and guide in Ohiopyle, and row/fish a lot of Class III white water. This is on my list to do this month as well. Besides being a new stretch of water to fish it's really just so close! Frankly I've got such a great river right in my back yard it's hard to leave her for others, but it needs to be done from time to time. I don't have any solid plans yet, but I'd be interested in a meet up or multi boat float. Who knows, maybe we could start getting a smallie float jam happening. I'm always happy to host something like this on the Yough if there would be those with oar rigs, a love for smallmouth, and white water rowing!

Thanks for the advice guys.

I dug through my eastern fly fishing mags and found a good article on the New in VA. This place sounds wonderful and very rugged. Sounds like a lot to cram into a few day trip but at least I got a year to plan ;-)

You're not going to be wading in the Gorge (I used to guide whitewater there). There aren't as many smallmouth in the WV part, either, unless you're fishing deep in the lakes. You likely won't be too close to any of the epic angling of the New, as most of it takes place between Austinville and the WV line (excepting Claytor Lake, which is just a silted mess at this point). There are fish to be caught in the Gorge area in the tribs, including some trout, but don't expect it to be mindblowing, as the better smallie and musky fishing is considerably upstream of the Gorge.

Sal - don't know what accommodations your looking for but I did a rafting/kayaking weekend and stayed at "Adventures on the Gorge". Rented a nice cabin complete with a hotub. Just google Adventures on the Gorge and Im sure it will pop up. Beautiful river.

Surf,

I got the exact response of what you said doing a little more research.

Andy,

Was trying to avoid boating due to taking the gf there to hike the area too. Time will tell. I'm not opposed to floating one day and hiking the other. Thanks for the advice.

It's looking good for me fishing the New River in VA; my wife just headed down to a job for 13 weeks near Blacksburg, VA. She's only 15 minutes from the New River. Tons of good smallie fishing in that area. I hope to get down there several times over the next 3 months and do some fishing.
John

Back