New prototype stonefly

Leteras

Leteras

Here is one of my new stone flies. This is the first one I have done. Let me know what your guys think.

Attachments

• stonefly realistic.jpg
    stonefly realistic.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 15
Better step on that before it crawls away.

Looks great!

Thanks let's hope the fish think so too.

I think it looks great. My only question would be is the abdomen long enough?

Well the abdomen extends under the back wing bud. It is hard to see from the angle I took the picture. They are tied on #8 tiemco hooks so I think they will be alright. Also the underside is dubbed with glow in the dark dubbing so they glow in the dark too. The fish will be the ultimate judge though. I still will probably tweek them some. Like I said that is the first one I put to the vise.

nice bug.

Arron,
try shorting the tail some looks to long and as Dean said abdomen seems to short, add more abdomen and more taper in it, thicker at front and I think you'll have it then.add some dubbing between the eyes and thorax needs to fill out.

I would never fish it. It is too nice to leave on the bottom of some stream.

I would display it. :) It is a work of art.

Very nice!

sandfly already corected the problem thanks too dean. Sometimes when your excited about a new fly you don't see the obvious. Thats why its good to post on here and get the feedback. Thanks again sandfly and dean.

It'll catch fish no doubt, but the proportions aren't quite right, tails on SF's are fairly short and the body/abdomen is longer.

He didn't miss by much. I'd choose something other than biots for the tail, but....

Attachments

• golden stonefly nymph.jpg
    golden stonefly nymph.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 6
Well other than the fact that he tied it in the wrong direction, its a dead ringer. :-D

I'am sure the fish will tear it up. There not as picky as we are. They eat that crap we throw at them, they should love that stonefly. Matter of fact mine should be here tommorrow.
Thanks Aaron

Thanks Tig. I fixed the proportions on the stonefly I sent you. I think on future ones. I will use 1/8 inch scud back on the back section. My biggest problem is getting them in my box. As soon as I get some tied up they are gone. I am hoping to get some in my box for Oak Orchard. 3 day trip coming the first weekend in November. It should fantastic.

Would hackle stems be too thin or to stiff? Just an idea and a question...

Hackle stems will work. I have used them in the past on stones.

Maurice wrote:
Well other than the fact that he tied it in the wrong direction, its a dead ringer. :-D

Clearly the antennae are too long as well. You can't expect a trout to fall for such a disproportionate antenna, can you? :cool:

I thought stoneflies had beads! So unrealistic, Leteras ;-)

I was actually going to use bacon for the wingbuds. I hear fish can't resist bacon. :-D

Back