New Orvis store coming to Lancaster

Thank you PCray for the clarification. I was just going to say there are different stores. My opinion only comes from an actual Orvis store not a store that is an Orvis dealer. My local store here in SE Pa. is The Sporting Gentlemen in Media, who is a Orvis dealer. I know I've said this before but they are in my opinion one of the best local shops with that small FF shop atmosphere. Very helpfull/professional and always will to give out the latest lowdown on the local waters. Like always some topics on this great site can get little sensitive to some. Keep that in mind. Everyone has their own idea of a great FF shop, its all a matter of personal opinion.

Those who have been displeased with their treatment at YBO in the past should try it again. It is under new ownership, and the new owner is often on site. A fisherman himself, and a very friendly and accommodating guy.

When Orvis first opened the store in Tysons Corner it was great half of the store was fly fishing and it was loaded. It had a full rod rack (including a full line of their bamboo rods) and any rod you could cast. I stopped going when the fly fishing section was reduced 3/4 in size. But if you wanted to look good they would sell you some high priced pants and shirt, but if you needed emergency fly fishing stuff it may be hit or miss. The same thing happened to LL Bean at the Tysons Corner Mall. I don’t know what they look like now but I’m sure they didn’t expand the fly section.

Joe E

I get a kick out of the guys who go into these stores with their blinders on and have no problem paying 2 times as much for something than you should be. Plus the evening rise only catered to those with deep pockets and quite frankly I wouldn't shop there if someone told me I had to. Too bad quiet times closed in quarryville. Too many people worry about what they look like while fishing and think they need the best hat and best nippers and greatest everything and look like an orvis gear rep on the stream with so much bs hanging off if their vests. Fish on yuppies.

That's definitely how I felt about the Evening Rise.

I like Orvis, but I won't pay out the arse for it.

Why are many of the FFing shops closing? Why has Orvis, Bean cut down FFing and tying space. Even Cabelas in Hamburg only has a small room in the back of the store dedicated to FFing stuff while the rest of the store filled with clothing and other gear?

There aren't many guys left like Sandy Big Meadows willing to tough it out and sell tippet spools and half a dozen flies to most guys, while most everything else is purchased on-line, at craft stores, or at the big boxers.

That's just the way it is.

My favorite store name, Modells Sporting Goods. Seriously? How much actual sporting goods do they carry?

I've been to two Orvis stores and they have more dog beds and bottles of gormet nuts than they do FF gear. That said, their customer serivce can not be exceeded. Matched perhaps, but I ended up with a store credit and went on spree.

The Orvis performance material shirt I bought was $80 and I would never have taken a chance at that price. But it is an excellent shirt and performed well for me. I have since found similar shirts for less than half that price and am trying those as well.

I wanted more leaders, etc. but they had a small selection.

+1 on the Sporting Gentleman. They have always been great to deal with and I can get there during lunch...like tomorrow!!

I miss the Evening Rise everytime I am in Lancaster.

I don't think that flyfishing should be about what equipment you can afford or whether you are fashionably dressed. Skill and knowledge will make you successful. We all know that most of the gear for sale is more nice to have than necessary.

That aside, I blame marketing for teaching us to expect 20%, 30%, 40%, or more off anything we buy. We ignore that fact that most retail stores set their initial prices high now expecting to drop it to entice buyers into thinking they are getting a bargain.

Flyfishing stores don't follow that model. MSRP is set by the manufacturer to allow the stores to make a decent profit so they can keep their doors open. I expected to pay full MSRP when I shop at fly shops. It is the cost of being able to look at and try things on or try them out as opposed to getting a little better price but buying a "pig-in-a-poke." online.

I suspect that fly shops will be a thing of the past within ten years and we will all be poorer for it. No more classes or even hatch information which, due to the fear of spot burning, is almost gone from this forum, also.

I don't think that Nick and Bev were getting rich running the store or Nick would not have had a full time job in addition to running the store with his wife.

Did not intend to rant, Ha Ha Ha!

Shock

shock,

I totally agree with you. I loved that store and they always had what I needed when I needed it. They are still doing guiding trips and casting lessons on the side. I though everyone that worked there was a ton of help when you needed it. People that think they need to get a discount everytime you shop at a store is out of line. The evening rise had everything fly fishing!!! I miss that store being there!

I didn't mean to discount but prices were ridiculously hig. Even a guy that used to work there admits that nick overpriced stuff. I guess when you have money you don't have to worry lol

Orvis Store has arrived. Grand-opening was this weekend. Have a small fly fishing section with some refurbished rods at great prices, unfortunately no warranty with them. Also have some good new reels & some refurbished reels. Had some waders and scant tying supplies. Some decent fishing clothing. Otherwise just a typical Orvis store. Some good deals, so I think worthwhile checking out in the Rockvale Outlets.

Sasquatch wrote:
The Evening Rise on the other hand....

I'm sad to hear that! I used to love that shop.

They had the best hooks, and the best tungsten beads (very cheap price) and the women part owner was such a wonderful person!

I've told this story before: when I purchased a 1wt Superfine (a $575 rod) the Evening Rise didn't even have anything below a 3wt. I didn't hurt their feelings, so I purchased online (I got a free LA reel with the deal)

When I broke my Superfine (for the third time) I sent it to Orvis and upgraded to a Helios...... for a song!!

Two weeks later, Orvis sent my Superfine back with two new sections and charged me only $30! I sold that rod to another forum friend of mine who lives overseas and he gave me more than I paid to Orvis for the Helios upgrade! LOL

Any fly shop will only sell you what they have in stock, and I can tie flies much better than they can (I don't mean to brag, but it's true)

Every rod, and every tying thing is available "online" for a cheaper price! I'll only shop online for the rest of my life!

I was never in there when the woman was working! Honestly, I went in twice. The first time was when it was at the old location. I didn't know much about FFing at the time. The experience wasn't enjoyable. I chalked it up to my own ignorance. A few years later after they moved to the Fruitville Pike, I went in again one time after an early morning training session at work. The two dudes who were working in there at the time definitely gave off an elitist attitude. That was enough for me, I guess.

When the shop was in Paradise, I stopped in to look at rods for smallie fishing on the river. Nick gave me his personal Loomis rod and reel to try. He let me use it for a week no questions asked. Bev always treated me well too. Heck, I was going to that shop when it was on Rt. 340 out past Intercourse.

The Evening Rise was a good shop. It is a shame that we are losing these smaller fly shops. I go to these shops to get $30 worth of advise and $12 worth of fly fishing supplies for a price of $20. Yes you pay slightly more but it is so nice to be able to go somewhere and spend an hour just BSing about fly fishing. I have limited financial resources but some things are worth investing a little more.

My wife, kids and I hit up the Lancaster Orvis Outlet today. The majority of the store is comprised of men's and women's clothing, accessories and footwear. There is a small fly fishing section with apparel, waders, two dozen rods, a case of reels, a baker's dozen fly patterns and other FF accessories (boxes, tippet,leader,line). There is also medium size pet section (a little bigger due to all of the dog beds). The prices are discounted steeply from retail (makes you scratch your head about the mark-up ~ IE: $250 chukka boots for $99). Service was friendly and low pressure. We will go back the next time with are in the Red Rose :pint:

OFF TOPIC: I caught a fat Rainbow in the Codorus TT section yesterday... *scratching my head* (Usually a Wild Brownie stream)

Posted while imbibing in a 2008 Schlafly Reserve Imperial Stout...delicious :-D

Back