New Orvis Sling pack

Pittflyguy wrote:
I have the older version and the removable compartment that can be put on the front or the back is relatively useless in my opinion in that it is a bit awkward and I don't like the security of the plastic clip so I just leave it at home.

I've experimented a few ways with this, and I hated it on the front in a "chest pack" role because I don't like stuff up there.

I attached a carabiner through the loop the clip is on, and can either hook it to the shoulder strap, and let it slide down to the corner where the strap meets the pack, or I'll use the carabiner to attach to a d-ring on my wading belt.

The former tends to swing the whole thing under my arm from weight (and not using the gut strap), the latter is the way to go, if/when I need to carry that extra stuff.

I hate it on the original location, makes the pack too big, IMNSHO. Some guys have used heavy threads to sew it permantently there, though.

So you find that the plastic clip is not secure? I was going to keep the little pack in the front for a camera and cell phone, but not if it falls off.

"Everyone says" its not secure. Not me, I don't like anything sticking out over my already expansive waistline. I also hated it on the back of the pack, as it made it too wide, and it didn't set right.

YMMV. No warranty is implied by my text. ;)

Wildfish wrote:
So you find that the plastic clip is not secure? I was going to keep the little pack in the front for a camera and cell phone, but not if it falls off.

Just tie a loop of nylon cord through the loop on the pack and the clip on the pouch. It will never fall off then. Has worked great for me.

Kev

Back